Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can I use this coding
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users can I use this coding Post 48164 by Perderabo on Friday 27th of February 2004 12:12:51 PM
Old 02-27-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by w33man
Optimus cheers for the offhand reply
so the question was not an error on my part, just a general enquiry that I thought may have been answered with a little more understanding
Well I will point out that your question did not exhibit much thoughtfullness on your part. You did not tell us what shell you are using or what result you wanted. Futhermore it was a crosspost which is a violation of our rules. You reap what you sow. I choose to ignore your question other than deleting the duplicate post.

I still don't know what shell you're using, but the syntax that oombera suggests seems to be illegal in ksh. Some quick experiments with bash seem to suggest that it does work there, but on bash, [ and [[ just seem to be the same thing. (On the other hand, many shells will accept your original syntax.)

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding on my Mac

I would like to start coding on my mac, but I'm getting an error when I attempt to execute my script -bash : testscript: command not found I have verified that the #! line points to the correct directory. If you have some insight it would be greatly appreciated! - D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pro*c coding

Hi All, I am new to pro*C. I have a select statement as select a.ename,a.sal,a.empno from emp where &n=(select count(distinct(b.sal)) from emp b where a.sal<=b.sal for this query I have to write a pro*C program. So can you please send me the complete code. Then I will foloow the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user71408
1 Replies

3. AIX

need help for coding this logic

contact me on <email address deleted> or <email address deleted> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suprithhr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTTP coding

My company has an in house instant messaging system (like WhatsApp) where users can communicate with each other. I currently have code to email me certain items from my Sparc machine running SunOS 5.10. I want what I am emailing myself to now instant message me. The team that created the messenger... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)