Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers freebsd auto login user at boot / i'm stuck Post 48096 by Optimus_P on Thursday 26th of February 2004 12:18:47 PM
Old 02-26-2004
no need to thank me. it was someone else who had the answer on google groups

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto Boot

Ok when i reboot my machine its a pain in the A** i do not have a monitor on it and i know its going to eventualy ask me to type BOot and then its going to ask me if i want to interact with the........ and then it will boot up fine... Hp UX 11i is what i am running and i would like it to boot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX; Auto clearing of 'too many invalid login attempts by user'

Does anyone have a good script / cron job that handles this? I have looked in smit and see it is clearing this count with: chsec -f /etc/security/lastlog -a "unsuccessful_login_count=0" -s '{userid}' However when I looked around to find ways to automate this I have not found an easy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Stuck with Desktop Login

I installed Solaris 10 on top of XP. The installation went smoothly but Solaris is stuck in: Starting Desktop Login on display :0... Wait for the Desktop Login screen before logging in. I'm new with Solaris, please help! Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanj45
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto login to Super User account

i want to write to script which will login to su account without hving user interaction.( i know Super user password) i wrote following script its also able to log into su account. but seesion gets terminates soon. what can be done ??? or is there any other solution. i don't want to use expect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anup13
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Auto fsck -y at boot

Does anyone know how or if its possible to automatically run fsck -y at boot if the initial fsck check finds that there has been data lost. Usually the initial fsck check will fix low level inconsistencies but if it finds that data has been lost it will put you into single user mode for you to log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tazzy
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processes on FreeBSD are stuck in "pipewr" state

Hi Experts, I am executing "svn" checkout command through my java code on a freeBSD machine. SVN checkout gets started , but when I run "top" command on my freebsd machine, I have observed that "svn" processes are stuck in "pipewr" state. Any pointer for this problem? Thanks, akash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FreeBSD new user login script

I am a beginner programmer and would like to know where to start to modify the login process so that a user can login as username new password new and have it prompt user for username and password and nothing else and then create said user account on the system so they can ssh back in and login... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deshi
9 Replies

8. AIX

Replaying log stuck during boot

I had some problems with NFS see here: https://www.unix.com/302790997-post9.html and now I cannot boot the partition when I boot I get stuck here Saving Base Customize Data to boot disk Starting the sync daemon ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris stuck during boot after reconfigure boot

Hello, I have a problem with my machine that won't boot properly. The story is that I installed a software called apcupsd, which is a control application for my APC battery UPS. I have used version 3.14.10 earlier, but as part of restoring my previously crashed os harddrive I wanted to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorken
18 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Howto auto boot SPARC | How to auto supply "start /SYS" and "start /SP/console" commands

When I power ON my T4-1, I got a prompt -> where I have to start /SYS and start /SP/console. How can I auto supply these two commands ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
3 Replies
BOOT.CONFIG(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    BOOT.CONFIG(5)

NAME
boot.config -- Configuration file for the boot blocks DESCRIPTION
The boot.config file contains options for the FreeBSD boot block code. When the FreeBSD boot loader runs, it searches the ``a'' slice of the boot partition for a boot.config file (as a result, slices which are missing an ``a'' partition require user intervention during the boot process). If the boot.config file is found, its contents are used as the default configuration options for the boot block code and are echoed to the system console. A valid format of this file is to put BIOS drive number, a controller type, a unit number, a partition, a kernel file name, and any other valid boot(8) option on a single line, as it is done at the ``boot:'' prompt. The options related to the boot image selection described below and all the other options available for boot.config are documented in detail in the boot(8) manual page. FILES
/boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
The command: # echo "-P" > /boot.config will activate the serial console of FreeBSD. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader" > /boot.config will instruct the second stage of boot(8) on the first disk to boot with the third boot(8) stage from the second disk. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader -P" > /boot.config will do both of the above. SEE ALSO
boot(8), loader(8) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 13, 2007 BSD