Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing Linux on an individual drive and the MBR.. Post 4798 by PravusMentis on Tuesday 31st of July 2001 07:30:00 PM
Old 07-31-2001
Installing Linux on an individual drive and the MBR..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I install linux on my 2nd HD which is aprox 30 Gigs do I still need to worry about all this W2k MBR editing stuff, and could anyone tell me a good size for each area (Root, Home, var etc etc))

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error After Installing Tape Drive

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris, I have a SunFire V120 box, i was trying to install a tape drive(HP SureStore DAT24), i did the install in this manner. # rm -rf /etc/path_to_inst # init 6 later at the "ok" prompt i gave "boot -ar" after doing that it asked me various options i accepted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendra.rait
2 Replies

2. Linux

Installing tape drive?

Hello. I have Redhat 8.0 on a laptop. Working good. I wanted to install the tape drive that is physically attached to it. The tape drive worked fine under Windows98SE. It's one of those parallel QIC-80 drives and I confirmed that it is supported by FTape. It appears that FTape might already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuralTurtle
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Dual boot (Booting Windows from Linux MBR)

Hi , I have two disk installed with Linux(disk 1) and WinXP(disk 2) .Now i am changing Hardisk jumbper manualy to get in to Linux/Windows .I want to configure my REDHAT linux boot manager to list Linux and WindowXP and wanna boot according to my choice . Here is what my fdisk -l shows (Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishn
2 Replies

4. SCO

Installing SCSI Tape drive

Hello, I'm having some issues with installing SCSI tape drive on SCO 5.0.6 hardware config shows the following adapters %adapter 0xE800-0xE8FF 10 - type=alad ha=0 bus=0 id=7 fts=sto %adapter 0x0170-0x0177 15 - type=IDE ctlr=secondary dvr=wd %adapter - 3 - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananth_ak
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix tape drive

Hi, i installed a unix tape drive on my alphaserver. when i use a mt command it tells me there is no tape or device. I have used the hardware manager and it shows the tape is present. Can anyone help me understand why it cannot pick up the tape as a default? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ryks
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris 10 on Flash Drive

Where can I find instructions for doing this? I am running Win XP and would like to be able to run solaris 10 from my flash drive. Thanks, Carrie (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carrie Heiser
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX and booting from External Hard Drive

Hello I have a new project being kicked off next month and i should learn UNIX fast. I have never used UNIX before so i have the following questions: 1) Is any UNIX free to install? 2) Can i install and boot UNIX from an External Hard Drive (The system board on my laptop crashed so i took the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

help regarding installing FEDORA on flash drive

How should i install Fedora onto flash drive .. to boot the OS from flash drive.. plz help me in that!! :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
4 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Windows 7 on a GPT drive

Hello, My hard drive was formatted with GPT. It is part of a volume group and has two logical volumes on it. Is it possible to convert the drive to MBR? If so, how would I got about doing it? I know there are programs out there that do it, but I have volume groups with LVM's so I am wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)