Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Difference in Mem usage ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference in Mem usage ? Post 47978 by shibz on Tuesday 24th of February 2004 03:35:47 AM
Old 02-24-2004
Difference in Mem usage ?

Hi All,

I have a pair of sun ultra 5_10 with SunOS 5.5.1.
Both are almost equally patched and set up with simillar applications.

host# uname -a
SunOS host 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

Even though both have
same amount of RAM ( 512 Mb ) ,
Swap,
and same set of processes running,

they show different values of free memory in "top". They difference is close to 50 Mb.

I had a look at few processes and compared the rss output in ps, they differ!.

Can anyone tell me why is this ?..

Eg:

host1# ps -ef -orss,vsz,comm | grep init
288 448 /etc/init
1136 1880 /usr/openwin/bin/xinit

host2# ps -ef -orss,vsz,comm | grep init
136 448 /etc/init
1120 1880 /usr/openwin/bin/xinit

The host2 is showing 50~60 Mb as free, where as host1 has only 10~15Mb free.

Thanks in advance..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux Mem Usage

What is amount of free RAM i have now? total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 1010 963 46 0 215 256 -/+ buffers/cache: 491 518 Swap: 1983 0 1983 Above is the output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

2. Gentoo

cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2 first, i want to explain some things. I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
14 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Mem Consumption

We have Sun OS running on spark : SunOS ciniwnpr67 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 Having Physical RAM : Sol10box # prtconf | grep Mem Memory size: 8192 Megabytes My Top Output is : 130 processes: 129 sleeping, 1 on cpu CPU states: 98.8% idle, 0.2% user, 1.0%... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajwinder
27 Replies

4. AIX

Huge difference in reported Disk usage between ls,df and du

IBM RS6000 F50 AIX 4.3.2 i am having trouble in calculating the actual size of a set of directories and reconciling the results with the actual Hard Disk space used I have 33GB disk which is showing 7.8GB used, a byte count of the files in the directory/sub-dirs i`m interested in is 48GB,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooperuf
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Checking mem usage at specific times in a program

Hi all, I'm running a simulator and I'm noticing an slow increase in memory for long simulations such that the simulation has to end because of a lack of memory. A colleague of mine ran Valgrind memcheck and reported that nothing of interest was reported other than known mem leaks. My advisor... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pl4u
2 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Mem Details

<A href="mailto:root@sssdpmds01$"> root@sssdpmds01$ prstat -a PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU PROCESS/NLWP 13831 ogw 2613M 2108M cpu12 0 0 277:43:27 3.9% java/1201 4312 ogw 2641M 2092M sleep 59 0 562:45:51 2.1% java/1235 4469 ogw ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help creating a timestamp script to record mem usage

Hi, I'm looking into doing a few performance tweaks by adjusting my max memory on a few lpars. I would to create a time stamp script so i could review it for a week and determine how much space i can lower my max memory to so i could reclaim and allocate that memory to where it is needed the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies
ypset(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 ypset(1M)

NAME
ypset - point ypbind at a particular server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ypset [-d ypdomain] [-h host] server DESCRIPTION
In order to run ypset, ypbind must be initiated with the -ypset or -ypsetme options. See ypbind(1M). ypset tells ypbind to get NIS services for the specified ypdomain from the ypserv process running on server. If server is down, or is not running ypserv, this might not be dis- covered until an NIS client process tries to obtain a binding for the domain. At this point, the binding set by ypset is tested by ypbind. If the binding is invalid, ypbind attempts to rebind for the same domain. ypset is useful for binding a client node that is not on a broadcast net, or is on a broadcast net that is not running an NIS server host. It is also useful for debugging NIS client applications, for instance, where an NIS map exists only at a single NIS server host. Where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, ypbind can rebind to another host, even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, if you enter the ypset command below, you might get the subsequent response from ypwhich: example% ypset host1 example% ypwhich host2 The sequence shown above is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to load-balance among the available NIS servers, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, obtains the binding. server indicates which NIS server to bind to, and must be specified as a name or an IP address. This works only if the node has a current valid binding for the domain in question and ypbind has been set to allow use of ypset. In most cases, server should be specified as an IP address. ypset tries to bind over a connectionless transport. The NIS library call, yp_all(), uses connection-oriented transport and derives the NIS server's address based on the connectionless address supplied by ypset. Refer to ypfiles(4) for an overview of the NIS name service. OPTIONS
-d ypdomain Use ypdomain, instead of the default domain. -h host Set ypbind's binding on host, instead of locally. Specify host as a name. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypwhich(1), ypfiles(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ypset(1M)