Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Difference in Mem usage ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference in Mem usage ? Post 47978 by shibz on Tuesday 24th of February 2004 03:35:47 AM
Old 02-24-2004
Difference in Mem usage ?

Hi All,

I have a pair of sun ultra 5_10 with SunOS 5.5.1.
Both are almost equally patched and set up with simillar applications.

host# uname -a
SunOS host 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

Even though both have
same amount of RAM ( 512 Mb ) ,
Swap,
and same set of processes running,

they show different values of free memory in "top". They difference is close to 50 Mb.

I had a look at few processes and compared the rss output in ps, they differ!.

Can anyone tell me why is this ?..

Eg:

host1# ps -ef -orss,vsz,comm | grep init
288 448 /etc/init
1136 1880 /usr/openwin/bin/xinit

host2# ps -ef -orss,vsz,comm | grep init
136 448 /etc/init
1120 1880 /usr/openwin/bin/xinit

The host2 is showing 50~60 Mb as free, where as host1 has only 10~15Mb free.

Thanks in advance..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux Mem Usage

What is amount of free RAM i have now? total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 1010 963 46 0 215 256 -/+ buffers/cache: 491 518 Swap: 1983 0 1983 Above is the output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

2. Gentoo

cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2 first, i want to explain some things. I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
14 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Mem Consumption

We have Sun OS running on spark : SunOS ciniwnpr67 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 Having Physical RAM : Sol10box # prtconf | grep Mem Memory size: 8192 Megabytes My Top Output is : 130 processes: 129 sleeping, 1 on cpu CPU states: 98.8% idle, 0.2% user, 1.0%... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajwinder
27 Replies

4. AIX

Huge difference in reported Disk usage between ls,df and du

IBM RS6000 F50 AIX 4.3.2 i am having trouble in calculating the actual size of a set of directories and reconciling the results with the actual Hard Disk space used I have 33GB disk which is showing 7.8GB used, a byte count of the files in the directory/sub-dirs i`m interested in is 48GB,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooperuf
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Checking mem usage at specific times in a program

Hi all, I'm running a simulator and I'm noticing an slow increase in memory for long simulations such that the simulation has to end because of a lack of memory. A colleague of mine ran Valgrind memcheck and reported that nothing of interest was reported other than known mem leaks. My advisor... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pl4u
2 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Mem Details

<A href="mailto:root@sssdpmds01$"> root@sssdpmds01$ prstat -a PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU PROCESS/NLWP 13831 ogw 2613M 2108M cpu12 0 0 277:43:27 3.9% java/1201 4312 ogw 2641M 2092M sleep 59 0 562:45:51 2.1% java/1235 4469 ogw ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help creating a timestamp script to record mem usage

Hi, I'm looking into doing a few performance tweaks by adjusting my max memory on a few lpars. I would to create a time stamp script so i could review it for a week and determine how much space i can lower my max memory to so i could reclaim and allocate that memory to where it is needed the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies
platform(4)							   File Formats 						       platform(4)

NAME
platform - directory of files specifying supported platforms SYNOPSIS
.platform DESCRIPTION
The Solaris operating environment release includes the .platform directory, a new directory on the Solaris CD image. This directory con- tains files (created by Sun and Solaris OEMs) that define platform support. These files are generically referred to as platform definition files. They provide a means to map different platform types into a platform group. Platform definition files in the .platform directory are used by the installation software to ensure that software appropriate for the architecture of the system will be installed. Sun provides a platform definition file named .platform/Solaris . This file is the only one that can define platform groups to which other platform definition files can refer. For example, an OEM platform definition file can refer to any platform group specified in the Solaris platform definition file. Other platform definition files are delivered by OEMs. To avoid name conflicts, OEMs will name their platform definition file with an OEM- unique string. OEMs should use whatever string they use to make their package names unique. This unique string is often the OEM's stock symbol. Comments are allowed in a platform definition file. A "#" begins a comment and can be placed anywhere on a line. Platform definition files are composed of keyword-value pairs, and there are two kinds of stanzas in the file: platform group definitions and platform identifications. o Platform group definitions: The keywords in a platform group definition stanza are: PLATFORM_GROUP The PLATFORM_GROUP keyword must be the first keyword in the platform group definition stanza. The value assigned to this keyword is the name of the platform group, for example: PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The PLATFORM_GROUP name is an arbitrary name assigned to a group of platforms. However, PLATFORM_GROUP typically equals the output of the uname -m command. PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of all platforms in the platform group, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -p command on all platforms in the platform group. o Platform identifications: The keywords in a platform identification stanza are: PLATFORM_NAME The PLATFORM_NAME keyword must be the first keyword in the platform identification stanza. The PLATFORM_NAME is the name assigned to the platform, for example: PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 Typically, this name is the same as the value returned by the uname -icommand on the machine, but it need not be the same. The PLATFORM_NAME value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. If it contains paren- theses, it must contain only balanced parentheses. For example. the string "foo(bar)foo" is a valid value for this keyword, but "foo(bar" is not. The other keywords in the platform identification stanza can be in any order, as long as the PLATFORM_NAME keyword is first. PLATFORM_ID The value returned by the uname -i command on the machine, for example: PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 MACHINE_TYPE The value returned by the uname -m command on the machine, for example: MACHINE_TYPE=sun4c IN_PLATFORM_GROUP The platform group of which the platform is a member, for example: IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The platform group name must be specified in the same file as the platform identification stanza or in the platform definition file with the name .platform/Solaris . The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP keyword is optional. A platform doesn't have to belong to a platform group. If a plat- form is not explicitly assigned to a platform group, it essentially forms its own platform group, where the platform group name is the PLATFORM_NAME value. The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value typically equals the output of the uname -m command. IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of the platform, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc This field is only required if the platform does not belong to a platform group. The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -i command on all platforms in the platform group. COMPATIBILITY
The installation program will remain compatible with the old Solaris CD format. If a Solaris CD image does not contain any platform defini- tion files, the installation and upgrade programs will select the packages to be installed based on machine type, that is, the value returned by the uname -p command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Platform Group Definitions The following example shows platform group definitions from the .platform/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u INST_ARCH=sparc Example 2: Platform Identification Stanzas The following example shows platform identification stanzas, which define systems that belong in a platform group, from the .plat- form/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u FILES
The .platform directory must reside as /cd_image/Solaris_vers/.platform, where cd_image Is the path to the mounted Solaris CD (/cdrom/cdrom0/s0 by default) or the path to a copy of the Solaris CD on a disk. Solaris_vers Is the version of Solaris, for example, Solaris_2.9. NOTES
Typically, a platform identification stanza contains either a PLATFORM_ID or a MACHINE_TYPE stanza, but not both. If both are specified, both must match for a platform to be identified as this platform type. Each platform identification stanza must con- tain either a PLATFORM_ID value or a MACHINE_TYPE value. If a platform matches two different platform identification stanzas--one which matched on the value of PLATFORM_ID and one which matched on the value of MACHINE_TYPE , the one that matched on PLATFORM_ID will take precedence. The .platform directory is part of the Solaris CD image, whether that be the Solaris CD or a copy of the Solaris CD on a system's hard disk. SunOS 5.10 19 Nov 2002 platform(4)