Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl Uploading Files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Perl Uploading Files Post 47868 by sstevens on Friday 20th of February 2004 12:46:23 PM
Old 02-20-2004
Quote:
This leads to my suspect: a faulty parent. The parent process, when overloaded or something, is spawning children incorrectly
It really seems like that's the problem. We're still narrowing down any patterns, but it here's any consistency we've found so far.

Roughly 11:00 pm - consistently wrong permissions
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm - consistently wrong permissions
10:00 am - 10:30 am - not as consistent as 5-6, but still pretty bad

Maybe the parent is being hit with another process on the server at these times, and is causing it to do what you described above.

We don't have any crons running at these times. I'm using top during these times to try to find any wierd processes, but have been unsuccesfull. I'll start looking into the parent for .cgi's and see if I can find something.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uploading Zipped files get 553 error

I am trying to upload .zip files to Unix server and get the error 553 qmerev2002.zip: Permission denied, what is my problem?? I am able to load other files and folders fine. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoastGuard1970
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Uploading files in chronological order

Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: circuit.muni
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to block the files uploading via the port

Hi Folks, I am not good in shell scripting. Please help me with my problem. Is it possible to block the file named "ss.cgi" using the port 25 to upload. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uploading files from Mac to Unix/Linux via ssh

Ok. I am using the Terminal window to ssh into a unix server. I am not sure how to copy a file from my mac onto the unix server. What command do I enter and how do I type the file I want to upload Example. Say my file is named Test1.doc and it is on the usr/me/test/working/ directory and I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script for uploading files to multiupload.com

Hi Please help me writing a shell script for multiupload. result should look like: $ ./multiupload.sh /tmp/file.avi http://www.multiupload.com/P1R9BZ4X3Q http://i.imgur.com/a2vhH.png There seems to be no official API. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uploading excel sheet to sharepoint portal using perl

Thourgh Perl scripting, Is it possible to upload excel sheet to sharepoint portal ? If the answer is YES.. Could you please share your thoughts and required CPAN modules or any examples to proceed further? Regards, Giridhar S ---------- Post updated at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl , uploading empty file.

Hi The below script used to work fine. Suddenly it's uploading empty file. I am very new to perl. Please help me to find out the problem. #!/usr/bin/perl #script: upload.pl use CGI qw/:standard/; print header, start_html('File upload'); print_form(); print_results() if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need help on uploading Video files on Mediawiki and embed to page

I am working on to uploading Video files on Mediawiki and embed to page but not getting success. I tried plugin like MediaPlayer and HTML5Player but these plugins seems having extension limitation as i need to embed files like .wmv, .mpg etc. I am using mediawiki1.17 and CentOS5.8 x64 bit ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Plowshare Command In Uploading Files

OK i am completely new to this stuff!! let me start from the beginning!!! I Am connected to Whatbox.ca Via SSH!! Then I installed plowshare using their guide perfectly Now They Told Me To refer Plowshare site's Command list for uploading any files to Various... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anime12345
4 Replies

10. Web Development

Uploading files via php

I used the following code, which I found on the internet to upload files. <!-- The data encoding type, enctype, MUST be specified as below --> <form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="upload2.php" method="POST"> <!-- MAX_FILE_SIZE must precede the file input field --> <input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
2 Replies
preap(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          preap(1)

NAME
preap - force a defunct process to be reaped by its parent SYNOPSIS
preap [-F] pid... DESCRIPTION
A defunct (or zombie) process is one whose exit status has yet to be reaped by its parent. The exit status is reaped via the wait(3C), waitid(2), or waitpid(3C) system call. In the normal course of system operation, zombies may occur, but are typically short-lived. This may happen if a parent exits without having reaped the exit status of some or all of its children. In that case, those children are reparented to PID 1. See init(1M), which periodically reaps such processes. An irresponsible parent process may not exit for a very long time and thus leave zombies on the system. Since the operating system destroys nearly all components of a process before it becomes defunct, such defunct processes do not normally impact system operation. However, they do consume a small amount of system memory. preap forces the parent of the process specified by pid to waitid(3C) for pid, if pid represents a defunct process. preap will attempt to prevent the administrator from unwisely reaping a child process which might soon be reaped by the parent, if: o The process is a child of init(1M). o The parent process is stopped and might wait on the child when it is again allowed to run. o The process has been defunct for less than one minute. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -F Forces the parent to reap the child, overriding safety checks. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by preap, which prints the exit status of each target process reaped: 0 Successfully operation. non-zero Failure, such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWesxu (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
proc(1), init(1M), waitid(2), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
preap should be applied sparingly and only in situations in which the administrator or developer has confirmed that defunct processes will not be reaped by the parent process. Otherwise, applying preap may damage the parent process in unpredictable ways. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2001 preap(1)