Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to delete a character
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to delete a character Post 47798 by davidg on Thursday 19th of February 2004 02:16:13 AM
Old 02-19-2004
Hi Perderabo / Oombera,

Thanks for your help and very detailed explanation !!

There was one thing that hit my attention :

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 60's I used to type in fortran programs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I was there yet by that time and You just showed your self a little

Thanks a lot for your explenation !! I can rest now in the knowledge of knowing there is no solution possible for me

Best regs David

(sorry i hit edit on mistake) - optimus_p

Last edited by Optimus_P; 02-19-2004 at 10:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete first 2 character from string

Hi ! All, I have to delete first 2 characters from string. How its possible? Like string value is "2001". I required output as "01" Plaese help me. Nitin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinshinde
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to delete a character

I built a 12 million record file and made a mistake, one field is 1 character too long. The record is 40 bytes and ends always in 999. I am trying to delete the 37 character in each record. Is this possible without doing a cut and paste. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bthomas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete \n character

Hello. I'm next problem.. I'm a tmp file $ cat tmp word1 word2 word3 word4 and I like have word1 word2 word3 word4 I try with: $ cat tmp |sed 's/\n//' word1 word2 word3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReneVielma
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete between 10th character and 20th character

Hi, I have a .txt and I need to delete the characters betwwen the 10th and 20th... How can I do that... I need to do somethink like these: %s/I don't know how to define a range between 10th and 20th character//g Can you help me... If I want the 10 first characters i do this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuno_fbo
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete all character before certain word

Hi, For example, i have a string "123 456 789 abc 111 222 333" and I would like to delete all the characters before abc so that it becomes "abc 111 222 333" how can i do that in unix? using sed? note: I actually don't know how many words/charachters before "abc", so the "cut"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phandy
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete character from a word

Friends, I'm looking for a command that delete the first tho caractere in a word. Here is an exp : I want to replace "20091001" by "091001" or "replace" by "place" Thx, (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete character 0 only when it's on its own?

Hi all I am trying to get my head around doing the following.... I have an input field that could contain either a number a blank field or a whitespace field. What I want to do is delete a 0 (zero) if it's on its own or leading the number. So:- \t0 delete the zero 0 delete the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all symbolic character

Hello is there a way to delete all symbolic characters using the tr command or delete everything apart from letters for example input="u;'#n] i would like echo $input to be "unix" or a way to only accept letters PLEASE HELP:wall: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omaral
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD