Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: why doesnt my script work!!!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting why doesnt my script work!!! Post 47714 by oombera on Tuesday 17th of February 2004 10:44:44 AM
Old 02-17-2004
Heedunk, looking at your questions thus far, either you're learning unix on your own and are new at it or you're posting homework assignments. If it's the former, then welcome to the world of unix!

If it's the latter, then the code I put will probably be too advanced to turn into a teacher anyway... follow Norsk's logic to come up with a way.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cd.. doesnt work

hi when i want to go to previous directory by typing cd.. i get the following message $ cd.. ksh: cd..: not found Please help rintingtong (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rintingtong
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

ls command doesnt work

Good Day I mistakely renamed the dld.sl file in the /usr/lib directory. When i try to ls/ftp into the box i get this error :eek: crt0: ERROR couldn't open /usr/lib/dld.sl errno:000000002 I have tried to rename it back from the renamed file to the original file name, but it gives me the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawnbishop
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp doesnt work - Help

When trying to copy a file in Solaris 8 it doesnt copy file or give a error. This worked 100% until the 29th. I've checked the rights and everything seems fine: drwxrwxrwx 2 bmuser bmgroup 11776 Jan 3 10:32 spool This is the file I want to copy: -rwxrwxrwx 1 bmuser bmgroup ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudi.okelly
26 Replies

4. Red Hat

ldapsearch doesnt work.

Hii All, I am using openldap v2.3 on redhat El-4. When i run ldapsearch it returns all the entries. The command runs successfully. But when I run the ldapsearch with following filter option it doesnt work and immediately returns to the shell. ldapsearch uidNumber>=2000 I've started slapd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script doesnt work properly when crontab

Hi, I have a script which does a tar and sends it to another server as backup. Script is as below # Locations to be backed up. Seperate by space BACKUP_LOCATIONS=/repos/subversion BACKUP_BASE_FOLDER=/bakpool BACKUP_FILE_NAME_ROOT=svn-backup START_TIME_DISP=`date` START_TIME=`date... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop doesnt work

It just does the break...even though the files are not the same... # Compare extracts #========================================== count=0 while (( count < 5 )) do (( count+=1 )) echo "Try $count" file1=$(ls -l /tmp/psjava.xml|... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compiler doesnt work

this is my file I have written. // My first C++ program #include <iostream> int main() { std::cout << "Hi there!" << std::endl"; std::cout << "This is my first C++ program" << std::endl"; return(0); } This is the error I get, why? $ g++ first.cpp ksh: g++: not found (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gustave
1 Replies

8. AIX

Vi doesnt work

Hi Guys, I have a strange problem.( AIX 6.1) "vi" is not working at all..Whenever i #vi <anythin> ,, it returns the prompt back. Any clues folks?? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzahed
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why doesnt it work?

I am trying to print out two fields in a file using awk. So, I have got awk -F '\t' 'NF = 2 {print $1 $2 "]"}' two.txt in a script called what.awk When i run this version like this - ./what.awk then it runs however I want to run the program like this awk -f what.awk two.txt. When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The undertaker
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Mv command doesnt work in shell script

Hi All, i created the below script to move file with xml extension from one directory to another,but the mv command is not working inside the shell script, #!/us/bin/ksh filepath="/apps/extract" filename="*.xml" foldername=2191POB000_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) mkdir -p "$filepath/$foldername"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radhas
3 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)