Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lp - order of files printed
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users lp - order of files printed Post 47679 by mabrownawa on Monday 16th of February 2004 11:08:36 AM
Old 02-16-2004
Thanks for the followup, RTM. Sorry about the missing information. This problem is occurring on Solaris 8. Your response makes sense in that these files can vary in size.

Only one type of print is sent to the print queue in question. Typically, a large number of debit memos are sent to be printed at one time. The order is important to the people who process the debit memos. In an attempt to rectify, I have put a wait into the script between LP statements, hoping that the delay will allow the file to be processed and the order to be maintained. Seems to be working fine so far, but the sample size is small.

MB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files in numerical order

Hi, I'm trying to write a ksh script to copy a specified number of files from one directory to another. The files are named in the convention <switchname>_log.<num> and the numbers are sequential single digit onwards. I figured I could find some parameter for ls which would list the files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list of files in date order

Im on HP/UX and am trying to find the command like an ll but that will sort showing the most currently modified programs first. Can anyone help me with that? :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeannine
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to exclude files from printed results

Hello I have application that part of its command I can get list of files to the stout . with the path . like : ./blah/blah/foo.c ./blah11/blah11/foo11.c ./blah12/blah12/foo11.h now I will like to filter this result and for instance see the "*.h" file or the "*.c" file or only the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order files by create date

hi Is there a way to sort files in the order they were created ,and move them to another directory one by one ,oldest being the first to be moved. Thanks Arif (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab_arif16
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing files enen when they are not in order

Hi, I have two master files which contain the information for many jobs like this Job no:1 a b c d Job no:1 d e g h Job no:2 t j s h Job no:2 t j s h I have written a script to pick up all the information for Job no:1 from file1 and put that to a temporary file and do the same from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the files based on timestamp and execute sorted files in order

Hi I have a requirement like below I need to sort the files based on the timestamp in the file name and run them in sorted order and then archive all the files which are one day old to temp directory My files looks like this PGABOLTXML1D_201108121235.xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saidutta123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively cat files in a directory with filename printed first.

I want to recursively cat the content of files in a directory e.g. find /etc -type f -exec cat {} \; But I want it to print the file name first and then the content. For example let's say /etc/statetab and /etc/colord.conf will be printed first then I want the output to look something like; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files in ascending order?

Hi, I need to list files in ascending order. Filenames are in format inpTDT_1, inpTDT_2, inpTDT_3 and so on. I want to list them in the ascending order based on the digit after underscore and send the output to a file. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop Through Files in Order and mapping

Hi there, How can I loop through files with order. I tried using ls .html | sort -v However the filename is with spaces:1233.61.47.0 - 121.61.123.112 nexpose.html Here is the original code that is working well, but I need to sort through the filename.echo "<center>" for file in *.html... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
update-grub(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    update-grub(8)

NAME
update-grub - program to generate GRUB's menu.lst file SYNOPSIS
update-grub DESCRIPTION
update-grub is a program used to generate the menu.lst file used by the grub bootloader. It works by looking in /boot for all files which start with "vmlinuz-". They will be treated as kernels, and grub menu entries will be created for each. It will also create the initial menu.lst if none exists, after prompting the user. It will also add initrd lines for ramdisk images found with the same version as kernels found. e.g. /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5 and /boot/initrd-2.4.5 will cause a line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.5 or similar to be added for the ker- nel entry in the menu.lst. After update-grub has been run for the first time, the user is required to edit the generated menu.lst. The user must set the two options update-grub uses. Then re-run the update-grub script to update the menu.lst file using the default's that have been set. These are the options passed to the linux kernel: # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro Everything after "kopt=" is passed to the kernel as parameters. See bootparam(7) for more information. This is the grub device from which grub loads the kernel: # groot=(hd0,1) (hd0,1) is a partition in grub notation. See grub(8) for more information. This option controls if grub should create the alternative boot options in the menu entries # alternative=true # alternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the alternative boot options see grub(8) for more information. # lockalternative=true # lockalternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the old kernels. # lockold=true # lockold=false This options controls what is used for the alternative boot options, multiple altoptions lines are allowed. # altoptions=(some description) some kernel command line options # altoptions=(recovery option) single The description is placed in '()' and the kernel command line options follow that. # updatedefault=true # updatedefault=false This option controls if grub should update the default entry to keep booting the same kernel even if a new one is installed. The update-grub script can be ran automagically from the /etc/kernel-img.conf file by adding the following lines: postinst_hook = update-grub postrm_hook = update-grub do_bootloader = no For further information related to /etc/kernel-img.conf, see the manpage kernel-img.conf(5). SEE ALSO
grub(8), grub-install(8), kernel-img.conf(5) (contained in the kernel-package package), bootparam(7). The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub programs are prop- erly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jason Thomas <jason@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Jason Thomas June 18, 2001 update-grub(8)