Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: newst sun mashine
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements newst sun mashine Post 47497 by photon on Wednesday 11th of February 2004 03:50:32 PM
Old 02-11-2004
Concerning the "newest solaris":

SUN is on the rise again with a new strategy?

"Cheaper and better" or is it "Cheaper is better"

That might work with me, but SUN needs to ask

what Microsoft continues to confirm.

“Will your Mother buy it?”

The paradox is however, “If my Mother buys it, will I?”

I will be waiting for the links on the benchmarks of

solaris and linux to see who is really better.

Last edited by photon; 02-11-2004 at 06:48 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help: Sun Disk partitioning for Sun V240 & StorEdge 3300

Dear Sun gurus, I have Sun Fire V240 server with its StorEdge 3300 disk-array. Following are its disks appeared in format command. I have prepared its partitions thru format and metainit & metattach (may be i have made wrong steps, causing the errors below because I have done thru some document... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafeeq
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Application running too slow on Sun SPARC T5440 but run normal on sun M3000

Hi all, I have application running on sun server T5440 4x8x1.4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, application running very slow though load average too low. when I install my application on another server SUN M3000 (One CPU 1x8x2.5GHz, 8GB RAM), application run smoothly. Here is my server T5440 info: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
6 Replies

5. Solaris

How to get access through internet to sparc mashine (Sol 10)?

Hi Guys, I need access to screen (Sol 10, CDE) on the sparc machine from Windows ХP mashine. What I need use? Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
1 Replies
AMSUNTAR(8)						  System Administration Commands					       AMSUNTAR(8)

NAME
amsuntar - Amanda Application to interface with native tar utility available on solaris platforms DESCRIPTION
Amsuntar is an Amanda Application API script. It should not be run by users directly. It uses Solaris bundled tar utility to backup and restore data. Currenty ACLs from ZFS file system can only be backed up using the solaris supplied tar utility. The diskdevice in the disklist (DLE) must be the directory to backup. Solaris 10 supports Role Based Access Control(RBAC) which is enabled by default. To run backup operations using sun tar utility by under privileged user like amandabackup, amandabackup user need to have proper roles and profiles, specially "Media Backup" profile/role. This can be done using 'usermod -P "Media Backup" amandabackup' command. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control amsuntar's functionality. See amanda-applications(7) for information on application properties and how they are configured. BLOCK-SIZE Optional tar read or write block size. The default is 256. DIRECTORY If set, suntar will backup from that directory instead of the diskdevice set by the DLE. On restore, the data is restore in that directory instead of the current working directory. EXTENDED-ATTRIBUTES Include extended attributes in archive. The default is YES. EXTENDED-HEADERS Write tar file with extended headers. With this optiion the modification time is maintained with a granularity of microseconds,Long file names and file sizes greater than 8GB can be archived. The default is YES. SUNTAR-PATH The path to the suntar binary. The default is set when Amanda is built. LANG Default LANG is "C". suntar require an UTF-8 LANG if you have UTF-8 filename and it is configured for extended headers. A good value can be "en_US.UTF-8" if that locale is installed on your machine. NORMAL List all regex (Perl Regular Expression syntax) that are normal output from sun tar. These output are in the "FAILED DUMP DETAILS" section of the email report if the dump result is STRANGE or FAILED. Default values: is not a file. Not dumped$ same as archive file$ To treat one of these default patterns differently, specify it explicitly in a different property. IGNORE List all regex (Perl Regular Expression syntax) that amanda ignore. These output are never in the email report. STRANGE List all regex (Perl Regular Expression syntax) that are strange output from sun tar. The result of the dump is STRANGE if sun tar produce a strange output. These output are in the "FAILED DUMP DETAILS" section of the email report. Default values: : invalid character in UTF-8 conversion of : UTF-8 conversion failed.$ To treat one of these default patterns differently, specify it explicitly in a different property. ERROR List all regex (perl Regular Expression syntax) that are error output from sun tar. All sun tar output that doesn't match a normal, ignore or strange regex are error by default. The result of the dump is FAILED if sun tar produce an error output. These output are in the "FAILED DUMP DETAILS" section of the email report. Default values: : Permission denied$ To treat one of these default patterns differently, specify it explicitly in a different property. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-applications(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Satya Ganga <gast@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMSUNTAR(8)