Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux programming advice needed.... Post 47349 by oombera on Sunday 8th of February 2004 11:44:26 PM
Old 02-09-2004
trostycp, this isn't meant to sound condescending in any way, but it is gonna be a bit unhelpful ... please look at the site rules. Esp number 6.

I was and still am a student and I know the best thing you can do is try till you get stuck, and then turn to your teacher...

But from first glance at your question, are you sure you aren't thinking this through too hard? If your networking class doesn't require you to know java to take the class, then they shouldn't expect you to use java for the assignment. Same with c++...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

urgent advice needed - gcc

what does the statement : static char a = "a"; store in the executable image. ?? I need to make a command line parameter exist AFTER the program finishes execution.. so that when i run the code next time ( without recompiling ).. i can work with the paramter.. for example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.k.aFireknight
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for' loop advice needed ....!!

/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | grep -v "inet6" | grep -v "127.0.0.1" | grep -v "0.0.0.0"|grep -v "192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' I use above command to get IP addresses on AIX boxes.Values coming here are set to a variable "Host IPs.IP Addresses" in my fingerprinting engine. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice needed on using Script with NOHUP

All, I would like to know my below requirement can be achieved in any way in Shell Scripting? I will make this requirement of mine as understandable as I can. Requirement: I wrote a script 'my.script' which gets user-input tablenames and puts the same into an array. Also I get other inputs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'for' loop advice needed....!!

Scenario: Command used to capture IPs on a host: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | egrep -v "inet6|0.0.0.0|192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' Following for loop used to capture interface names: for INTERFACE in `/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | nawk '$1 ~ /:$/ && $1 {sub(":$", "", $1); print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
3 Replies

5. Linux

Scripting advice needed

Evening all, Im trying to get a script that will: Select the most 3 recent files in a specific directory Run a command on them (like chmod) Ask of you would like to continue Copy the files to another directory If a linux guru could help me out, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wiggins
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System + Network Programming, your advice required???

Dear friends, Before putting my questions forward, I would like to put some data infront of you, hope you will help me at the end. This website Cray-Cyber - Welcome provides free access to many supercomputers and mainframe computers. When you login through ssh, they provide you with a screen,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
0 Replies

7. Programming

System + Network Programming, your advice required???

Dear friends, Before putting my questions forward, I would like to put some data infront of you, hope you will help me at the end. This website Cray-Cyber - Welcome provides free access to many supercomputers and mainframe computers. When you login through ssh, they provide you with a screen,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Advice for This Programming way

Hi All, I am working in production support environment And I have a lot of checks done daily on system And depended on values I take specific decision I am going to develop script to do general operation task But my problem is this script will be a running process 24 hours I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxosmanpad
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Permission problem, programming advice needed, Perl

Hi all, I have written a wrapper script in Perl which will be used on AIX, Linux and Windows and I do not want to change any code for the needs for a specific OS if avoidable. It works fine so far on all 3 OSes, not blowing up any stacks any more, but I am unsure how to handle writing log files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with ACL's (Help/Advice Needed)

Hi Experts,,, Need your help/advice on how to fix this I have 2 users under same group (primary group) and i want to give 777 permissions on a directory to one dir owned by user1 when granted i can see than from getfacl but when i actually login as user2 i can touch a file . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyfreaks1
3 Replies
networks(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       networks(4)

NAME
networks - Contains network name information SYNOPSIS
/etc/networks DESCRIPTION
The networks file contains information about the known networks that comprise the DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) Inter- net. Each network is represented by a single line in the networks file. The format for the entries in the networks file is as follows: Name Number Aliases The fields contain the following: The official network name. The network number. The unofficial names used for the network. Items on a line are separated by one or more spaces or tab characters. Comments begin with a # (number sign). Routines that search the networks file do not interpret characters from the beginning of a comment to the end of that line. Network numbers are specified in dot- ted-decimal notation. A network name can contain any printable character except a field delimiter, newline character, or comment character (#). The networks file is normally created from the official network database maintained at the Network Information Center (NIC). The file may need to be modified locally to include unofficial aliases or unknown networks. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: route(8) Functions: getnetbyaddr(3), getnetbyname(3), getnetent(3) delim off networks(4)