Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mandrake/ linux partition
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers mandrake/ linux partition Post 47315 by jestra on Saturday 7th of February 2004 12:26:33 AM
Old 02-07-2004
Question mandrake/ linux partition

okay...

I want to learn linux, i have some books, but im one of those types who would rather get my hands dirty then read a textbook. dont get me wrong, i will spend some time reading.
I really want to install mandrake first, but because i have no experience with Linux or unix, i think im better off installing an emulator. this is also due to the fact that, for now, im afraid of messing up the whole partition. I read the other posts , and they say mandrake has its own "partition software" and it will partition itself. does it automatically detect the windows XP partition and make a new one around it? (i have xp by the way : ) if not how do i determine the correct partitioning of my hard drive?

For my situation, would you guys recommend mandrake or the knoppox emulator?

p.s. my objective is to have both O/S's on my pc with a dual booter if i choose mandrake

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing unix jaz disk in Linux Mandrake..Can I??

Can I utilize Linux to read a Unix formatted Jaz drive in linux mandrake... Basically are the ext2 files compatible... I seem to be having a rather nasty time due to my ignorance on the platform... Help would be much apprecited Thanks !! T.J.:( ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpmania
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need some help in Linux-Mandrake

OK, well i got it now, but im having alil but of trouble.....Im running mandrake and Im loving it, te little tux racer game...heh heh, but to the point here, Im trying to access my CD-ROM drive from the KDE desktop, and an error prompt shows up and says, "you do not have access rights to this..."... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake Linux Settings

I use Unix at work, and thought that I should finally install it on my computer, just as a play around. Plus I am into programming C and various other languages. I have never used Mandrake linux, and to be honest it was just a freebie that I found that I thought I would give a quick try. I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiE
3 Replies

5. Linux

Linux Mandrake 9.1 running on Vmware workstation 4

Im running WinXp and just recently installed VMware workstation v4 to emulate Linux Mandrake 9.1. It succesfully installed.. Situation: My xp home edition is static on a linksys router it is my host computer.. Linux is running on Vmware as guest operation system.. Im not sure how to configure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewINLinux
2 Replies

6. Linux

mandrake linux 10 fourth cd MD5 checksum

I downloaded ISO file fourth CD of mandrake linux 10. But I don't have MD5 checksum. Anybody can help me! show me the MD5 checksum of it. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleghost
2 Replies

7. Linux

AOL on mandrake linux 9.2

Is there a way to patch aol for large business onto linux 9.2? Send replies to email address removed ! OR e-mail em and tell em if you want to chat with me at the chat room at no advertising (must be amember. Create a profile if you don't have one!):) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: computek
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux partition with LVM

Hi, I need a suggesstion i have 2 disk if i installed OS / root partition by making Lvm in one disk and data in other disk also with the lvm, means 2 different lvms. Is making LVM partition for OS disk will the performacne will be good? Can i make 2 different lvm one is for OS and other for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Resize Linux partition

Hello., Could any one please share the informaiton about this or please point me the reference : Assume, we have the following partition after linux machine is setup, it will mention like this : bash$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/xvda2 10G... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
3 Replies
mpartition(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mpartition(1)

Name
       mpartition - partition an MSDOS hard disk

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mpartition command is used to create MS-DOS file systems as partitions.  This is intended to be used on non-Linux systems, i.e. systems
       where fdisk and easy access to SCSI devices are not available.  This command only works on drives whose partition variable is set.

mpartition -p drive
       mpartition -r drive
       mpartition -I [-B bootSector] drive
       mpartition -a drive
       mpartition -d drive
       mpartition -c [-s sectors] [-h heads]
       [-t cylinders] [-v [-T type] [-b
       begin] [-l length] [-f]

Mpartition supports the following operations:

p      Prints a command line to recreate the partition for the drive.  Nothing is printed if the partition for the drive is not defined, or
	      an inconsistency has been detected.  If verbose (-v) is also set, prints the current partition table.

r      Removes the partition described by drive.

I      Initializes the partition table, and removes all partitions.

c      Creates the partition described by drive.

a      "Activates" the partition, i.e. makes it bootable.  Only one partition can be bootable at a time.

d      "Deactivates" the partition, i.e. makes it unbootable.

If no operation is given, the current settings are printed.

For partition creations, the following options are available:

s sectors
	      The number of sectors per track of the partition (which is also the number of sectors per track for the whole drive).

h heads
	      The number of heads of the partition (which is also the number of heads for the whole drive).  By default, the geometry  information
	      (number of sectors and heads) is figured out from neighboring partition table entries, or guessed from the size.

t cylinders
	      The number of cylinders of the partition (not the number of cylinders of the whole drive.

b begin
	      The  starting offset of the partition, expressed in sectors. If begin is not given, mpartition lets the partition begin at the start
	      of the disk (partition number 1), or immediately after the end of the previous partition.

l length
	      The size (length) of the partition, expressed in sectors.  If end is not given, mpartition figures out the size from the	number	of
	      sectors,	heads  and  cylinders.	 If these are not given either, it gives the partition the biggest possible size, considering disk
	      size and start of the next partition.

The following option is available for all operation which modify the partition table:

f      Usually, before writing back any changes to the partition, mpartition performs certain consistency  checks,  such  as  checking  for
	      overlaps	and  proper alignment of the partitions.  If any of these checks fails, the partition table is not changes.  The -f allows
	      you to override these safeguards.

The following options are available for all operations:

v      Together with -p prints the partition table as it is now (no change operation), or as it is after it is modified.

vv     If the verbosity flag is given twice, mpartition will print out a hexdump of the partition table when reading it from and writing it
	      to the device.

The following option is available for partition table initialization:

B bootSector
	      Reads the template master boot record from file bootSector.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13							     mpartition(1)