Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can i install a programm? Post 4722 by Optimus_P on Monday 30th of July 2001 04:29:16 PM
Old 07-30-2001
well lets focus on the important parts.

A) if you can NOT become root you CAN NOT mount.
Code:
man mount.....
Only users with root authority or are members of the system group and have write
access to the mount point can issue file or directory mounts.

your best bet to installing a program with non root uid would be

1) download the src
2) untar/gunzip/uncompress it to your home dir
3) edit the makefile
4) compile it and then run it as you.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can install a programm?

Hello Friends, I have a problem with install.can u tell me how can I install a programm?I use AIX(IBM) system. And how can i access cd-rom?I can't mounted,coz i am not Root.(can u tell me another Command /way)? Thanks all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Christianto
1 Replies

2. Programming

run other programm

I have the programm, that says to STDERR(not to STDOUT!): "hello world!" and this programm is compiled and I have no sources. When I try to open this programm in another using C: ======================================= FILE *pp = popen("hello_to_stderr.exe", "r"); int c; string a; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shalmoo
2 Replies

3. Programming

how do i run am encrpyrtic programm on unix

how do i run am encrpyrtic programm on unix, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghoz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to embeded programm within programm

Hi, How to embeded programme within perl programme. Shankarao (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarao
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to view html in ksh programm

have a script in ksh called file1 #!/bin/ksh cat my.html --------------------------- and a html file hy.html can u tell me that if i execute "file1" script it will open hy.html bt here it is showing the all the tags along with text......... it should open the browser part... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Antivirus Programm for Solaris Desktop

Hello, I´m searching a antivirus solution for Solaris Desktop PC´s (Intel). Can anyone tell me more about some producer?? Thanks Volker (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingossi
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with links programm.

Problem with links programm. Hi! I write sctipt for aytomatic checking into IE stas.html -> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/> <script type="text/javascript" src="newdata.submit()"></script> </head> <body... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beckss
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix shell programm(need urgent Help)

Hi guys, i am new to shell can u please explain how to get those two outputs in temp1 i have i/p like abcd edk lkg jkl loop i need o/p abcd ********* edk********** lkg *********** jkl *********** loop************ need o/p abcd *************** (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokkrishna063
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Programm not working on all sample

Hi all I am using following code and input to duplicate entries till next row but out is cutting some words in this sample can anybody check on his system is there any error? awk ' { if($2 !~ /^ *$/) { a=substr($0,length($1)+1,index($0,$NF)-length($NF)); b=$NF; } print $1, a, b } ' file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Chopra
1 Replies
dtc_install_centos(8)					      System Manager's Manual					     dtc_install_centos(8)

NAME
dtc_install_centos - bootstrap a CentOS install to use in a chroot or VM SYNOPSIS
dtc_install_centos <install root> <yum environment> DESCRIPTION
This shell script is part of the dtc-xen package, generally to be used by the dtc panel to install a new a Xen VPS server. This script is called by dtc_reinstall_os when the user chooses to install the CentOS operating system. How it works: it generates a temporary yum configuration in the yum environment directory, that directs yum to act inside the install root instead of in the base system; then it kindly requests yum to install the basesystem, centos-release and yum packages onto it. Yum then uses the configuration to download the required (usually, security-updated) packages and then perform the RPM installation process under the install root. It requires both RPM and yum. It does work under Debian (it was developed in Ubuntu first). It should also work on RPM-based systems without destroying the system-wide RPM and yum configurations. OPTION
<install root> Target directory where CentOS will be deployed. Must exist beforehand. <yum environment> Directory where yum will store the repository manifests and configuration. Will be automatically created. Cached RPMs and manifests will be left, as usual, in a directory var/cache/yum inside the install root. EXAMPLE
dtc_install_centos /root/yum /xen/13 This will setup the operating system in /xen/13, with the CentOS configuration folder in /root/yum. BUGS
It's limited to CentOS 5 at the moment. It must be run as root. Under some circumstances, the installation process itself may kill processes running on the host machine. The chroot yum does should be sufficient to avoid this, but we haven't been able, yet, to ascertain why this fails sometimes. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8) VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_install_os version 0.3.1. See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. dtc_install_centos(8)