Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing a variable name to be created within a function Post 47193 by Perderabo on Wednesday 4th of February 2004 02:20:57 PM
Old 02-04-2004
First of all, you don't need a tr process. ksh can upshift all by itself.

typeset -u xyz
a="abc"
xyz=$a
echo $xyz

And you can use eval to build a command then execute it.
var="xyz"
eval typeset -u $var
a="abc"
eval $var=\$a
eval echo \$$var

But I too don't know why you'd want to do this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing variable to function

Hi, I am trying to sum up numbered columns and in order to tidy up the program I have wrote a function to do the adding of some numbers. I have a problem though with passing a variable to the function in the UNIX bash shell. The function only gives the first number in the variable list and does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Knotty
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a unix variable value to a Plsql function

Suppose I have a unix variable called RGNM which is holding a value. Now I want to call a plsql function in my script. THis plsql function takes one IN parameter. I want to pass my UNIX VARIABLE Value to the plsql function. Can i just give it by giving $RGNM in the function after calling sqlplus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable content to a function

following on from below link https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 i will be using file reading in while loop say for example while read line123 do echo "line read is $line123" insert_funct $line123 done< mysqldump.sql... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

6. Programming

Created a wrapper for a function in a class.

I have a class called Parsing with the following function. I want to create a wrapper for it, so that I call it using GetReal rather than GetFloat. Bit confused on how to do this. class Parsing { private: int Length; // int Ptr; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing alias to a function

The objective of this function is to validate the file full path. cat /dev/null > crontab_NOTEXISTS.txt function File_Existence # Accepts 1 parameter { file_name="$(echo $1)" echo "${file_name}" && break || echo "$file_name NOT FOUND" >> crontab_NOTEXISTS.txt } while read file_name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies

10. Programming

Local variable in a C function is not getting created in stack when its compiled with GCC

Hi, I am working in UEFI EDK2 Bios source. We created a platform related new package in the EDK2 source. I find a strange issue with the platform related code we added. When I did source level debugging I noticed the local variable in a C function is not getting created in stack when its... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya R
6 Replies
GUPNP_SERVICE_PROXY_ADD_NOTIFY(3)					 1					 GUPNP_SERVICE_PROXY_ADD_NOTIFY(3)

gupnp_service_proxy_add_notify - Sets up callback for variable change notification

SYNOPSIS
bool gupnp_service_proxy_add_notify (resource $proxy, string $value, int $type, mixed $callback, [mixed $arg]) DESCRIPTION
Sets up callback to be called whenever a change notification for variable is recieved. PARAMETERS
o $proxy - A service proxy identifier. o $value - The variable to add notification for. o $type - The type of the variable. Type can be one of the following values: o GUPNP_TYPE_BOOLEAN - Type of the variable is boolean. o GUPNP_TYPE_INT - Type of the variable is integer. o GUPNP_TYPE_LONG - Type of the variable is long. o GUPNP_TYPE_DOUBLE - Type of the variable is double. o GUPNP_TYPE_FLOAT - Type of the variable is float. o GUPNP_TYPE_STRING - Type of the variable is string. o $callback - The callback to call when variable changes. Typically, callback function takes on three parameters. The $variable parameter being the first, $value parameter being the second, and the $arg is third. o $arg - User data for $callback. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. SEE ALSO
gupnp_service_proxy_remove_notify(3). PHP Documentation Group GUPNP_SERVICE_PROXY_ADD_NOTIFY(3)