Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Looking for a good book to learn LINUX Post 47136 by bigdawg on Tuesday 3rd of February 2004 02:36:54 PM
Old 02-03-2004
Bug Looking for a good book to learn LINUX

I have just transferred from an mainframe DB2 area to an area that uses LINUX. Any suggestions for a good book to buy for learning LINUX?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

book to learn pro c\c++

can any one help me and told me about a good books to learn 1- pro c/c++ under unix 2- programming network using c under unix thnx in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kazanoova2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please recommend a good Unix or Linux book

I looking to broaden my knowledge in Unix/Linux. I have taken some basic classes in the past and tinkered a little with operating system at home.. What i am looking for is if someone could suggest a good book or class or both to help out. Looking at getting a Unix or Linux Certification. I work... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: harlemi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any book to learn perl scripting

Hi, Please suggest me any good book to learn pearl scripting. Thanks in advance !!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkvishwakarma6
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

good book to learn korn shell scripting

which is a gud book to learn advanced korn shell scripting? i know the basic shell scripting (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shishirkotkar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best book to learn UNIX from the begining

What is the Best book to learn UNIX from the begining? am really a beginner and no nothing about UNIX, so what are the track that i have to trace in order to be a professional in UNIX and scripting? What are the best books to learn it and what are the certificates such as CCNA in networks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eng.pirlo
5 Replies

6. Programming

Good book to learn C

I'd like to learn C but I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good book to start with. I came across some folks who said the best one is 'The C programming language, second edition' but some reviews said that it's not for beginners. I am learning Java and UNIX on my Mac and am familiar with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the best book to learn linux kernel?

I'm looking for a book to learn Linux Kernel Now I got a basic C and operating system concept Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Runicer
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Book to learn Perl

Hi guys, which book are you raccomand to start learn Perl from the ground ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

9. Programming

Can u tell me an good e-book to learn "C"

Actually I know bit of C++ and Java & C# for a extend. But when I have tried to go through some online exams of C++, I have found out that there's a lot for me to learn in C++ also. And as I Believe, most of the things are the once that C++, got from C. Actually I'm good with those OOP concepts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nohim Ys
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a good book to learn UNIX Shell Scripting

I'm going to be starting a job in a month or so that I need to brush up on my Unix shell scripting skills. About 15 years ago, I took a college class for Unix shell scripting. I would like to find a good college book again, rather than just going to Amazon and just buying anything. This is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorlow
2 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)