Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: printing ppid,child pid,pid
Top Forums Programming printing ppid,child pid,pid Post 47045 by a25khan on Sunday 1st of February 2004 11:48:22 PM
Old 02-02-2004
perderabo,
yeah it makes sense that both child and process will execute the 3 staments, giving 6 results.
is the output in order of child,child,child,parent,parent,parent
now can u correct me if i m wrong here

0 - is the return int value that is always passed to the child to the child
this one is executed by printf("%d\n",pid);

28873 - is the pid of the child which is contained in the parent
this also executed by printf("%d\n",getpid());

28872 - is the pid of the parent
it is executed by printf("%d\n",getppid());

now running for parent
28873 - is the pid of the child
it is executed by printf("%d\n",pid);

28872 - is the pid of the parent that makes the child here
it is executed by printf("%d\n",getpid());

28086 - is the pid of the shell running this program
it is executed by printf("%d\n",getppid());

arrrrrrrrghSmilie i am confuuuuuuuused!
Hope i got that right Smilie
Sorry i am slow and ask too many questionsSmilie

Last edited by a25khan; 02-02-2004 at 12:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to kill all child process for a given PID

Is there any build in command in unix to kill all the child process for a given process ID ? If any one has script or command, please let me know. Thanks Sanjay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. Programming

Child Process PID

Hi, Can anybody solve this query? A parent process forks 2 child processes. How does the child process know it's PID without the parent process sending it. Apart from the "ps-ef" option, what other options are there if any? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skannan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange pid and ppid problem

Hi all, Please look into the following code : int main() { char command; int pid, ppid; ppid = getpid(); /* Get the parent pid */ pid = fork(); /* Fork */ if ( pid ==0 ) { sprintf( command, " gdb a.out %d ", ppid ); printf( "Command line is %s\n", command ); system( command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asvija
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

In ksh, how does an in-line child sub-process get its own PID?

This is not the same as a few of the other posted items dealing with sub-process pids (that I saw anyway). If zot contains: echo "main mypid: $$ - lastpid: $!" ( echo "block mypid: $$ - lastpid: $! - ppid: $PPID" ps -ef > xxx sleep 5 echo "block mypid: $$ - lastpid: $! - ppid:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichLab
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

child pid in ZSH

I am using ZSH shell in Linux. I am calling a child program in background mode parallely (say 2-3 threads). I have problem in handling the temporary files of these child programs since the temp file names are unique for all the child process. To distinguish i want to use the pid in the temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhams
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing CRON PID w/Current PPID

All, I've got a script that needs to check if it was started by cron. The code seems to be right, but it's not running correctly if cron starts it. Am I getting the pid's correctly? I'm not having any luck figuring it out. :confused: Any help is appreciated! CRON_ID=$(ps -aef | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GregWold
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture PID for a child script

Hi, I'm looking for a method where we can capture the PID and if possible the progress of child process especially the ones running in background. can anyone help? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman jain
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PID and PPID - please explain :(-

Hi, I need some help understanding PID and PPID that is shown by the ps -ef output. OS is Solaris 5.8. :wall: There are several Oracle databases and processes running on this server and they all have the same PPID. Does that mean they are all spawned off the same startup script? I then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Listing all child pid and deleting it in reverse order

Hi , My problem is that I am not able to list all process id of any process. If you see pstree command it shows many process id under https. But if I run ps command its not listing all the process id for httpd. It is just listing the PPID and immediate child process id only. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting child process id for a given PID

HI Am trying to get child process id for a PID using ksh.. ps -ef | grep xntpd root 3342472 2228308 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd root 4522024 6488316 0 12:18:56 pts/0 0:00 grep xntpd root 6291614 3342472 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd Here now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
preap(1)							   User Commands							  preap(1)

NAME
preap - force a defunct process to be reaped by its parent SYNOPSIS
preap [-F] pid... DESCRIPTION
A defunct (or zombie) process is one whose exit status has yet to be reaped by its parent. The exit status is reaped via the wait(3C), waitid(2), or waitpid(3C) system call. In the normal course of system operation, zombies may occur, but are typically short-lived. This may happen if a parent exits without having reaped the exit status of some or all of its children. In that case, those children are reparented to PID 1. See init(1M), which periodically reaps such processes. An irresponsible parent process may not exit for a very long time and thus leave zombies on the system. Since the operating system destroys nearly all components of a process before it becomes defunct, such defunct processes do not normally impact system operation. However, they do consume a small amount of system memory. preap forces the parent of the process specified by pid to waitid(3C) for pid, if pid represents a defunct process. preap will attempt to prevent the administrator from unwisely reaping a child process which might soon be reaped by the parent, if: o The process is a child of init(1M). o The parent process is stopped and might wait on the child when it is again allowed to run. o The process has been defunct for less than one minute. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -F Forces the parent to reap the child, overriding safety checks. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by preap, which prints the exit status of each target process reaped: 0 Successfully operation. non-zero Failure, such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWesxu (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
proc(1), init(1M), waitid(2), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
preap should be applied sparingly and only in situations in which the administrator or developer has confirmed that defunct processes will not be reaped by the parent process. Otherwise, applying preap may damage the parent process in unpredictable ways. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2001 preap(1)