Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: printing ppid,child pid,pid
Top Forums Programming printing ppid,child pid,pid Post 47035 by a25khan on Sunday 1st of February 2004 06:58:39 PM
Old 02-01-2004
Question printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program
i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid
why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086
but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two!
can someone comment on that!

#include<stdio.h>
#define DIM 8
int main()
{
int pid, i, ans;
int arr[DIM] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8};

pid = fork();
printf("%d\n",pid);
printf("%d\n",getpid());
printf("%d\n",getppid());
}
======
the output is
$./a.out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to kill all child process for a given PID

Is there any build in command in unix to kill all the child process for a given process ID ? If any one has script or command, please let me know. Thanks Sanjay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. Programming

Child Process PID

Hi, Can anybody solve this query? A parent process forks 2 child processes. How does the child process know it's PID without the parent process sending it. Apart from the "ps-ef" option, what other options are there if any? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skannan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange pid and ppid problem

Hi all, Please look into the following code : int main() { char command; int pid, ppid; ppid = getpid(); /* Get the parent pid */ pid = fork(); /* Fork */ if ( pid ==0 ) { sprintf( command, " gdb a.out %d ", ppid ); printf( "Command line is %s\n", command ); system( command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asvija
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

In ksh, how does an in-line child sub-process get its own PID?

This is not the same as a few of the other posted items dealing with sub-process pids (that I saw anyway). If zot contains: echo "main mypid: $$ - lastpid: $!" ( echo "block mypid: $$ - lastpid: $! - ppid: $PPID" ps -ef > xxx sleep 5 echo "block mypid: $$ - lastpid: $! - ppid:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichLab
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

child pid in ZSH

I am using ZSH shell in Linux. I am calling a child program in background mode parallely (say 2-3 threads). I have problem in handling the temporary files of these child programs since the temp file names are unique for all the child process. To distinguish i want to use the pid in the temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhams
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing CRON PID w/Current PPID

All, I've got a script that needs to check if it was started by cron. The code seems to be right, but it's not running correctly if cron starts it. Am I getting the pid's correctly? I'm not having any luck figuring it out. :confused: Any help is appreciated! CRON_ID=$(ps -aef | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GregWold
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture PID for a child script

Hi, I'm looking for a method where we can capture the PID and if possible the progress of child process especially the ones running in background. can anyone help? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman jain
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PID and PPID - please explain :(-

Hi, I need some help understanding PID and PPID that is shown by the ps -ef output. OS is Solaris 5.8. :wall: There are several Oracle databases and processes running on this server and they all have the same PPID. Does that mean they are all spawned off the same startup script? I then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Listing all child pid and deleting it in reverse order

Hi , My problem is that I am not able to list all process id of any process. If you see pstree command it shows many process id under https. But if I run ps command its not listing all the process id for httpd. It is just listing the PPID and immediate child process id only. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting child process id for a given PID

HI Am trying to get child process id for a PID using ksh.. ps -ef | grep xntpd root 3342472 2228308 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd root 4522024 6488316 0 12:18:56 pts/0 0:00 grep xntpd root 6291614 3342472 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd Here now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
setpgid(3)						     Library Functions Manual							setpgid(3)

Name
       setpgid - set process group (POSIX)

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       int
       setpgid(pid, pgrp)
       pid_t pid, pgrp;

Description
       The  function is used to either join an existing process group or create a new process group within the session of the calling process (see
       Upon successful completion, the process group ID of the process that has a process ID which matches pid is set to pgrp.	If  pid  is  zero,
       then the call applies to the current process. In addition, if pgrp is zero, the process ID of the indicated process is used.

This function is available only in the POSIX environment.

Return Values
       The  function  returns 0 when the operation is successful.  If the request fails, -1 is returned and the global variable indicates the rea-
       son.

Diagnostics
       The function fails and the process group is not altered if one of the following occurs:

[EACCES]       The value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and  the  child  process  has
		      successfully executed an function.

[EINVAL]       The value of the pgrp argument is less than zero or is not a supported value.

[EPERM]	      The process indicated by the pid argument is a session leader.

The  value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and the child process is not
		      in the same session as the calling process.

The value of the pgrp argument does not match the process ID of the process indicated by the pid argument and  there  is	no
		      process with a process group ID that matches the value of the pgrp argument in the same session as the calling process.

[ESRCH]	      The  value  of  the  pid	argument  does	not  match the process ID of the calling process of a child process of the calling
		      process.

See Also
       getpgrp(2), setsid(2)

setpgid(3)