Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: another qustion about fork
Top Forums Programming another qustion about fork Post 47034 by a25khan on Sunday 1st of February 2004 06:54:31 PM
Old 02-01-2004
another qustion about fork

hi there this program runs
but i m jus trying out a few things here to have an indepth knowledge about different possibilities.
can someone comment on this please.

#include<stdio.h>
#define DIM 8
int main()
{
int pid, i, ans;
int arr[DIM] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8};

pid = fork();
/*printf("%d\n",pid);
printf("%d\n",getpid());
printf("%d\n",getppid());
*/

if(pid==0)
{
ans = 0;
for(i=0;i<DIM;i++)
{
ans = ans + arr[i];
printf("Child sum %d\n", ans);
}
_exit(0);
}
// printf("%d\n",getpid());
if(pid<0)
{
fprintf(stderr, "error\n");
exit(1);
}

ans = 1;
for(i=0;i<DIM;i++)
{
ans = ans * arr[i];
printf("Parent %d\n",ans);
}
}
===========
heres my out put

Child sum 1
Child sum 3
Child sum 6
Child sum 10
Child sum 15
Child sum 21
Child sum 28
Child sum 36
Parent 1
Parent 2
Parent 6
Parent 24
Parent 120
Parent 720
Parent 5040
Parent 40320

=========
question: what if i had an if loop sayin
if(pid>0)
{
ans = 1;
for(i=0;i<DIM;i++)
{
ans = ans * arr[i];
printf("Parent %d\n",ans);
}
}

the only difference here is i put a condition. but if i don't have a condition what would happen?
is there any difference?
does it matter?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fork

What is a fork? Why would one create a fork? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fork? Please advise. Thank You. Deepali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepali
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx and mail list help - newbie qustion

I have a basic question - how do I create and then use a mail list to be able to send a mailx email to multiple recipients. I assume I create a test file using vi, containing the email addresses - but what is the format - are the addresses separated by ";", or by spaces, ....??? Is there a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
1 Replies

3. Programming

fork()

#include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #define MAX_COUNT 200 #define BUF_SIZE 100 void main(void) { pid_t pid; int i; char buf; fork(); pid = getpid(); for (i = 1; i <= MAX_COUNT; i++) { sprintf(buf,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKSRaja
2 Replies

4. Programming

Fork or what?

Hello all. I'm developing a filetransfer application, which is supposed to work sort of like dcc, with multiple transfers etc. Now i wonder what the best way to manage the transfers is. Should i fork() for each new transfer, hogging loads of memory or use pthreads? Maybe I can use select to see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crippe
0 Replies

5. Programming

Fork ()

hi all About this code for (i = 1; i < n; i++) if ((childpid = fork()) <= 0) break; I really can't understand the output . and the way fork () return the value . how about the process Id ,the child process Id and the parent ID in this case so please answer me soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
5 Replies

6. Programming

fork() help

Hi everybody, I wanna write a code to understand how fork works. my target -------------- -Parent creates a file(called temp) and writes into this file "1".Then it closes the file. -Then parent creates a child and wait until execution of this child ends. -Then child opens the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexicopax
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
1 Replies

8. Programming

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
2 Replies

9. Programming

Fork()

does fork() spawn only the parent process, what if fork() is looped, does it spawn the parent and the child? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peevish
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork()

I'm trying to run a simple test on how to use fork(), i'm able to execute the child process first then the parent, but how can I execute parent then child..? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies
dbconfig-generate-include(1)					  dbconfig-common				      dbconfig-generate-include(1)

NAME
dbconfig-generate-include - generate custom format db include files SYNOPSIS
dbconfig-generate-include [-hv] [-f format] [-o options] [-a] [-d[varname]] [-u[varname]] [-p[varname]] [-s[varname]] [-P[varname]] [-t[varname]] [-C[commentstr]] [-O owner[:group]] [-m mode] [-U] infile [outfile] DESCRIPTION
dbconfig-generate-include is a program to generate custom format include files containing the information necessary to connect a program to a database resource. OPTIONS
infile use the given dbconfig-common config file as input outfile use the given file as input (default: stdout) -f|--format use the given output format (default: sh) -o|--options pass options specific to an output format in a semicolon seperated list. see OUTPUT FORMATS/OPTIONS for more information. -a|--all include all information in output (default) -d|--dbname include the dbname in the output -p|--dbpass include the dbpass in the output -s|--dbserver include the dbserver in the output -P|--dbport include the dbport in the output -u|--dbuser include the dbuser in the output -t|--dbtype include the dbtype in the output -C|--comment "comment out" any unset variables, using a string appropriate comment string for the programming language in question. can be over- ridden with an optional parameter as an arbitrary comment. -O|--owner set the owner:group of the output file -m|--mode set the permissions on the output file -U|--ucf register the outputfile with ucf -h|--help display this helpful message -v|--version output the version and exit OUTPUT FORMATS
/OPTIONS format is one of a list of include-file style formats for various programming languages. the current list includes: sh /bin/sh style include file. perl perl parseable include file. php php parseable include file. template a file which contains a series of fields to be replaced with actual values. all substitutable fields consist of the underlying dbc_ variable name capitalized and surrounded with underscores. for example: _DBC_DBUSER_. options: template_infile (path to input file containing template) cpp c-style header file, using #define'd constants. sean finney March 2005 dbconfig-generate-include(1)