Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I need a path to install UNIX on my home PC Post 47020 by fpmurphy on Sunday 1st of February 2004 01:14:33 PM
Old 02-01-2004
What you want is a dual boat installation.

Do a Web search for "dual boot Windows Linux" and you
will find many documents which explain the process.

BTW, suggest you use GRUB rather than LILO.

- F

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory in search path

Is it unsafe to put your own home directory (a regular user) in your search path? I am writing useful shell scripts, but don't have the permissions to put them in /usr/bin. (Korn shell) thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $PATH doesn't match $HOME/.profile

This is on a Solaris 9 box, but I feel like a noob, so I am posting here. When I echo $PATH I get a lot of duplicate paths and extra stuff I don't need. What I want is just what I set up in my home dir under .profile My login shell=/bin/bash I checked the following and there are no path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Veestan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path for a stand alone library in home directory

Hi all, This is probably a basic question. I had installed a stand-alone library called szip in my home directory, as I don't have the necessary root permission. I tried to set an environment for both include and lib files in my .cshrc script as setenv /home/szip/lib setenv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alamcheril
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared hosting, how to install programs and libraries in your home folder

Hi all I hope I am posting in the right section. If not please excuse me and redirect me to the right section. Here is my problem: I am using a shared hosting plan at Godady. I have shell access and of course my own folder. I would like to be able to install programs in my own folder... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PiniFarini
4 Replies

5. Solaris

/home unwritable after new S10 install

I bought Solaris 10 some years ago and am now trying to use it. The install (on an Ultra 5) went ok but /home is unwritable. ls -l shows only Total 0. chmod won't add any permissions and the file manager shows the permissions to be n/a. Trying to write to /home results in a cannot create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
5 Replies

6. Solaris

useradd: ERROR: Path must not start with '/home/'.

root@solaris11express:/home# useradd -d /home/oracle oracle UX: useradd: ERROR: Path must not start with '/home/'. and the user oracle is not being created... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kompcouk
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Compiling fails due to space in path to home folder

I seem to have issues compiling software and I think I've narrowed it down to something having to do with having a space in the path name to my Home folder (which contains "Macintosh HD"). The reason I think this is shown here: $ echo $HOME /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Tom $ cd $HOME -sh:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdgrant1
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Install GhostScript into Home Directory

Hello... I Don't know if this is a noobie question or not so I just took a chance and posted it here. Does anybody know of a way or have any pointers on how to install GhostScript into a home directory. I need to install GhostScript for some testing and I can only install it into my home... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djlerman
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Migrate /export/home from storage path to local

I am newbies in solaris, hope u guys can help me, I need to transfer /export/home directory that currently mount at storage and migrate into local disk. may i know the best way to do it? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deeo
6 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X June 1, 2019 Mac OS X