Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a multi-recipient email script Post 46992 by TheSunTheSea on Saturday 31st of January 2004 01:02:52 AM
Old 01-31-2004
Here's an update. This is what I've written so far and I'm getting a whole bunch of errors:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#usage mailscript msg_file  list_file  "subject"

MAILTEXT=$1
INFILE=$2
SUBJECT=$3

exec 0<${INFILE}
while read EMAIL NICKNAME
do

PASS=`/usr/linux/bin/mkpasswd`
EXDATE=`/usr/linux/date --date 'next year' +%F`

sed -e "s/{NICKNAME}/$NICKNAME/g" -e "s/{EMAIL}/$EMAIL/g" -e 
"s/{PASSWORD}/$PASS" -e "s/{EXPIRATION_DATE}/$EXDATE" $MAILTEXT | mailx -s 
"$SUBJECT" $ADD

done

exit

#End of script

Since I've only been playing around with scripts for a few days, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It seems right to me, but it's not working. If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unknown recipient when using metasend

Hi, We use metasend to send e-mail from our app. This works fine with most kinds of mail, for example plain text, HTML with images and mail with attachments. But we still have one problem: If the to-address is misspelled, then still everything seems to be fine. We don't get any message back... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjohnsen
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating email based on an output

Hello folks. I need to create a script that looks at a certain output (list of full paths of files) and gets the owner's name (2nd position in the path, for example: /dirA/jsmith/blah1/more_blah/still_blah... etc) Gets the jsmith and greps the related file for jsmith and send that output to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saswerks
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email recipient problems with uuencode attachments

Most of my email attachments are fine, but some recipients get the email with the uuencode attachment included as "text" at the end of the body of the message. Has anybody seen this? It seems to happen most with yahoo, msn and other freebie email addresses. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dave Miller
1 Replies

4. Programming

Creating email account prgramatically + java ?

Dear Friend, I am working on java application which requires that after successful registration an email account is created (say username@mydomain.com) for user. Is is possible to create e-mail account programatically ? Enviornment - CentOs, Tomcat Web server. CPanel is available, but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reckless_jack
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx Recipient and Name Script

Hi To All, I have a file with email addresses, most of which have names associated with them, it looks like this: http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8255/94731317.th.jpg I am trying to come up with a script to use mailx (or anything else really) to send an email to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slicker
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email recipient based on filename

Hi All can someone help please create a bash script. Here's a scenario: 1. I have a directory where it's a destination for scanned documents. e.g. /dest/scan 2. The filename is in the form IDNumber_Category. e.g. 123456_notes.pdf 3. The first part of the script is to rename the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemestech
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail script throwing an error "No recipient addresses found in header"

Hi, I am using following code to send an e-mail with attachment and body. echo "To: user1@mail.com,user2@mail.com" > mail.tmp echo "Cc: user3@mail.com,user4@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "From: group@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "Subject: my report" >> mail.tmp echo "please see as attached"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substract selective values in multi row, multi column file (using awk or sed?)

Hi, I have a problem where I need to make this input: nameRow1a,text1a,text2a,floatValue1a,FloatValue2a,...,floatValue140a nameRow1b,text1b,text2b,floatValue1b,FloatValue2b,...,floatValue140b look like this output: nameRow1a,text1b,text2a,(floatValue1a - floatValue1b),(floatValue2a -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nricardo
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Send multi content email using sendemail utility

Hi Guys, I am trying to send email from solaris server using sendemail utility. I want to send multi content email. For example, i want to send email body with html file and a attachment of txt file. I using below code but the html not render correctly in email body. ( echo "To:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharmendran
2 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)