Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remote printer
Operating Systems AIX remote printer Post 46883 by Optimus_P on Wednesday 28th of January 2004 12:25:17 PM
Old 01-28-2004
1) add the ip and hostname of the printer in /etc/hosts
2) you can use smit to add it to your devices.

i use smit to configure my remote HP printers that use Jet Direct cards.

this adds a hp Laser Jet 4000 to my aix machine w/ the queue name of hpqda02

Code:
/usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomkjetd mkpq_jetdirect -p 'hplj-4000' -D pcl -q 'hpqda02' -h 'hpqda02' -x '9100'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

remote printer with ip.

Hello gurus. I need to print in a computer client. I use telnet to connect to my sco server, and I want to print in my local client printer with lp -d local_client_printer file1. I use XLPD in my local machine. Well, I want to add another printer like that. Where can I found information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patito
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner on remote printer

Hi all, i have a Sun Solaris server ( Sun OS 5.5.1 ) , and few windows machines accessing it using exceed humming bird software ( 6.1 ). I have a EPSON printer connected to one of the PCs, and I am using Exceed LPD daemon for printing. Whenever I trigger a print command from Sun server,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to disable remote printer

Hi all, On Solaris 8.2 I have several printers controled via LPD so they are defined with systemnames. The problem is I can't disable them as I could in Unix V with the disable command. Is there a way to do this however? Thank in advance! :) Peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulnul7
2 Replies

4. AIX

how to setup a remote printer in aix 5.2

how to setup a remote printer in aix 5.2 i have an aix 5.2 os and need to setup a remote printer off of it need help on how it is done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itivanh
2 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to set remote printer in AIX

Hi all, I am a beginner in AIX. I am facing a problem with remote printing in AIX. HP laser jet 1320 printer is connected to a printer server (PCI Mini - 100U3), which is configured as remote printer from AIX server. But I am not able to print from the AIX server by using "lp -d... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rainy
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 setup remote printer queue help

I am trying to setup a remote printer (home users printer) through Solaris 8. The IP address is 172.16.17.10 and I can ping the printer, a local windows printer queue has been setup and works but now I am trying to setup a remote Unix printer queue. With this being a remote printer, do I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
2 Replies

7. AIX

Error - Creation remote printer

Guy's I'm trying to configure new remote printer by smitty in AIX 6.1 but I'm facing below message ! and creating did not completed ... can you please help in this ! Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. digest:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remote printer service

The IT auditors have pointed some of my boxes (SUSE, Solaris 10 and AIX) have remote printer service running and that is a potent security violation. I am confused what is remote printer service and how do I disable the same. I need the help. A prompt response is appreciable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranasarkar
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Remote printer setup on solaris 10 host

Hi All, I am trying setup a remote printer on a solaris 10 server. The printer is online and working fine is solaris 8. I have added the pritner to /etc/hosts file and /etc/printers.conf ... I need to know followings: 1. How do I find the default pritner port on the old solaris machine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

To change of remote printer font style

How can I change the remote printer font style as its been printing in a non readable format. Is it possible to change it from the server console. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
0 Replies
cups-lpd(8)							    Apple Inc.							       cups-lpd(8)

NAME
cups-lpd - receive print jobs and report printer status to lpd clients SYNOPSIS
cups-lpd [ -h hostname[:port] ] [ -n ] [ -o option=value ] DESCRIPTION
cups-lpd is the CUPS Line Printer Daemon ("LPD") mini-server that supports legacy client systems that use the LPD protocol. cups-lpd does not act as a standalone network daemon but instead operates using the Internet "super-server" inetd(8) or xinetd(8). If you are using inetd, add the following line to the inetd.conf file to enable the cups-lpd mini-server: printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd -o document-format=application/octet-stream Note: If you are using Solaris 10 or higher, you must run the inetdconv(1m) program to register the changes to the inetd.conf file. If you are using the newer xinetd(8) daemon, create a file named /etc/xinetd.d/cups containing the following lines: service printer { socket_type = stream protocol = tcp wait = no user = lp group = sys passenv = server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream } OPTIONS
-h hostname[:port] Sets the CUPS server (and port) to use. -n Disables reverse address lookups; normally cups-lpd will try to discover the hostname of the client via a reverse DNS lookup. -o name=value Inserts options for all print queues. Most often this is used to disable the "l" filter so that remote print jobs are filtered as needed for printing; the examples in the previous section set the "document-format" option to "application/octet-stream" which forces autodetection of the print file format. PERFORMANCE
cups-lpd performs well with small numbers of clients and printers. However, since a new process is created for each connection and since each process must query the printing system before each job submission, it does not scale to larger configurations. We highly recommend that large configurations use the native IPP support provided by CUPS instead. SECURITY
cups-lpd currently does not perform any access control based on the settings in cupsd.conf(5) or in the hosts.allow(5) or hosts.deny(5) files used by TCP wrappers. Therefore, running cups-lpd on your server will allow any computer on your network (and perhaps the entire Internet) to print to your server. While xinetd has built-in access control support, you should use the TCP wrappers package with inetd to limit access to only those comput- ers that should be able to print through your server. cups-lpd is not enabled by the standard CUPS distribution. Please consult with your operating system vendor to determine whether it is enabled on your system. COMPATIBILITY
cups-lpd does not enforce the restricted source port number specified in RFC 1179, as using restricted ports does not prevent users from submitting print jobs. While this behavior is different than standard Berkeley LPD implementations, it should not affect normal client operations. The output of the status requests follows RFC 2569, Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols. Since many LPD implementations stray from this definition, remote status reporting to LPD clients may be unreliable. SEE ALSO
cups(1), cupsd(8), inetconv(1m), inetd(8), xinetd(8), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 4 August 2008 CUPS cups-lpd(8)