Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Making Emacs to show line number Post 46842 by saurya_s on Tuesday 27th of January 2004 07:19:42 PM
Old 01-27-2004
Making Emacs to show line number

Hi all
How can I make Emacs to show the line numbers at the left or right as a default. This might help me to quickly jump to a given line.
Thanks
SS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

emacs as a line editor

hello, I would like to use emacs as a line editor (I use emacs as editor). I try "set -o emacs" but I have nothing. Thank you for any help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sure a command line paramter is a number

i need to make sure that a command line paramter is with in a certin set of numbers and i dont know how todo it with out checking individual numbers. if test $1 -eq (need something here) then echo hi fi like if i put individual numbers in there it works fine but how do i do a range (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show result only if number is greater then

Hello all Im trying to write one liner that will show me results only if the result of the expression is greater then 0 For example: I do : find . -name "*.dsp" | xargs grep -c SecurityHandler the result are : ./foo/blah/a.dsp:0 ./foo/blah1/b.dsp:1 ./foo/blah2/c.dsp:2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Programming

Emacs line indentation

Hi. I'm writing a document in Python, so indentation is crucial. I want to indent a whole section by exactly one tab. Any idea how to go about this? I'm using terminal emacs (no mouse input) Thanks for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show difference between two number

Hi, I would like to show the difference between two numbers. For example. input.txt 1 7 2 10 0 0 6 7 I would like a third field showing the difference between the numbers as below: ouput.txt 1 7 6 2 10 8 0 0 0 6 7 1 How do I do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
4 Replies
el(1)							      General Commands Manual							     el(1)

NAME
el -- program to make a tuned shell-command for Oneliner SYNOPSIS
el [-acdfhioxV] [--command cmd] [--args n] [--format fmt] [--execute] [--inpipe buf] [--outpipe buf] [--serial] [--help] [--ver- sion] [--debug] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the el command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has docu- mentation in the GNU Info format; see below. el is a program that You can make a tuned shell-command for Oneliner with. This command can send S-exp to Emacs, and this can make Emacs evaluate it, too. In other words, you can execute Emacs's function from shell-commands. And you can make Emacs work in closer cooperation with your favorite shell-commands. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -c cmd --command cmd cmd means a function of Elisp. Command line arguments and data from stdin means arguments of cmd. If you specify the only -c switch, el output one S-exp by one line of stdin. --a n --args n Specifies the maximum number of arguments of a Elisp function with -c switch. -f fmt --format fmt Allows you to use format string of printf for making a S-exp. -x --execute Requests to Oneliner to evaluate the S-exp to use *Oneliner auto-eval* buffer. -i buf --inpipe buf Gets input from pipe-buffer. You can specify a number of pipe-buffer, too. -o buf --outpipe buf Puts output to pipe-buffer. You can specify a number of pipe-buffer, too. -s --serial Makes el to serialize multiple lines to one line. -h --help Display help message. -V --version Display version identifiers. -d --debug Enable debugging state. SEE ALSO
The programs are documented fully by Oneliner(Shell-mode hooks for Oneliners) available via the Info system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by OHURA Makoto <ohura@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. el(1)