Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to output the difference of two files? Post 46790 by yxiao on Monday 26th of January 2004 12:55:18 PM
Old 01-26-2004
Thanks!

Thanks, oombera.

Yun

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

output difference in two files

Hi, Please help me, I have two files. I need to output the difference of contents of each file in another file. For example, I need to know the content of the file1 that does not exist on file2 and vice versa. Please take note that the size of the files are large. How can I do it using unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare Files and Output Difference

I have to compare two files for any differences, then output the lab and question number for any differences. This is what I currently have: diff lab2.txt lab2answer.txt > lab2compare.txt Though the output doesn't have to be sent to a .txt (or any sort of log), I found that easier, at least... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joesgrrrl
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Difference in netstat -a and -an output.

Hi, Does anyone know why I get a different output when using "netstat -a" or "netstat -an" ?? # netstat -a | grep ts15r135 tcp 0 0 nbsol152.62736 ts15r135.23211 ESTABLISHED # netstat -an | grep 172.23.160.78 tcp 0 0 135.246.39.152.51954 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Difference in date output

HiCan anyone tell me why I am getting a difference in the date format on 2 different Solaris servers?On one I get: -Monday, 9 November 2009 09:02:45 GMTand the other: -Monday November 9 09:03:05 GMT 2009Both servers are running OS Version M-11/16/88iCan anyone tell me why one uses a "," and the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine 2 files and output the unique & difference?

Hi Guys, I have two input files and I want to combine them and get the unique values and differences and put them into one file. See below desired output file. Inputfile1: 1111111 2222222 3333333 7860068 7860069 7860071 7860072 Inputfile2: 4444444 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and output difference, by first field using awk.

It seems like a common task, but I haven't been able to find the solution. vitallog.txt 1310,John,Hancock 13211,Steven,Mills 122,Jane,Doe 138,Thoms,Doe 1500,Micheal,May vitalinfo.txt 12122,Jane,Thomas 122,Janes,Does 123,Paul,Kite **OUTPUT** vitalfiltered.txt 12122,Jane,Thomas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing text in 2 files and output difference in another file.

I have 2 files of almost same text apart from 2,3 ending lines. Now I want to get that difference in another file. e.g file1.txt is Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/vg_livecd-lv_root 18G 2.4G 15G 14% / tmpfs 504M ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and output difference

Hi experts, I am trying to compare two text files and output the difference to another file. I'm not strictly looking for differences in text but additional text at the end of one file that isn't in another, so basically comparing the file 2 against file 1 and printing any additional text to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare 2 files and prints difference as output sidebyside

Hi All, Am trying script to compare 2 files and print the difference found from old file to new file on line by line basis on side by side display. Basically line by line comparision and files may contain blank line as well I know we have compare/diff commands but i don't how to make... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference output of files

Need help on below req Compare two files and send difference of file to other file File2 is static which never changes ex: File1 A.txt B.ttx C.txt E.txt File2 A.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish1222
6 Replies
SVN::Web::DiffParser(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 SVN::Web::DiffParser(3pm)

NAME
SVN::Web::DiffParser - Parse patch files containing unified and standard diffs NOTE
This is Text::Diff::Parser, plus some local bug fixes that were exposed by use with SVN::Web. For more details about Text::Diff::Parser please see CPAN. SYNOPSIS
use SVN::Web::DiffParser; # create the object my $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new(); # With options $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( Simplify=>1, # simplify the diff Strip=>2 ); # strip 2 directories # Create object. Parse $file $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( $file ); $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( File=>$file ); # Create object. Parse text my $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( $text ); $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( Diff=>$text ); # parse a file $parser->parse_file( $filename ); # parse a string $parser->parse( $text ); # Remove no-change lines. Combine line substitutions $parser->simplify; # Find results foreach my $change ( $parser->changes ) { print "File1: ", $change->filename1; print "Line1: ", $change->line1; print "File2: ", $change->filename2; print "Line2: ", $change->line2; print "Type: ", $change->type; my $size = $change->size; foreach my $line ( 0..($size-1) ) { print "Line: ", $change->line( $size ); } } # In scalar context, returns the number of changes my $n = $parser->changes; print "There are $n changes", # Get the changes to a given file my @changes = $parser->changes( 'Makefile.PL' ); # Get list of files changed by the diff my @files = $parser->files; DESCRIPTION
"SVN::Web::DiffParser" parses diff files and patches. It allows you to access the changes to a file in a standardized way, even if multiple patch formats are used. A diff may be viewed a series of operations on a file, either adding, removing or modifying lines of one file (the "from-file") to produce another file (the "to-file"). Diffs are generally produced either by hand with diff, or by your version control system ("cvs diff", "svn diff", ...). Some diff formats, notably unified diffs, also contain null operations, that is lines that "SVN::Web::DiffParser" currently parses unified diff format and standard diff format. Unified diffs look like the following. --- Filename1 2006-04-12 18:47:22.000000000 -0400 +++ Filename2 2006-04-12 19:21:16.000000000 -0400 @@ -1,4 +1,6 @@ ONE TWO -THREE +honk FOUR +honk +honk Standard diffs look like the following. diff something something.4 3c3 < THREE --- > honk 4a5,6 > honk > honk The diff line isn't in fact part of the format but is necessary to find which files the chunks deal with. It is output by "cvs diff" and "svn diff" so that isn't a problem. METHODS
new $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new; $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( $file ); $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( $handle ); $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( %params ); $parser = SVN::Web::DiffParser->new( \%params ); Object constructor. Diff String that contains a diff. This diff will be parse before "new" returns. File File name or file handle that is parsed before "new" returns. Simplify Simplifying a patch involves dropping all null-operations and converting and remove operation followed by an add operation (or an add followed by a remove) of the same size on the same lines into a modify operation. Strip Strip N leading directories from all filenames. Less then useful for standard diffs produced by "cvs diff", because they don't contain directory information. Verbose If true, print copious details of what is going on. parse_file $parser->parse_file( $file ); $parser->parse_file( $handle ); Read and parse the file or file handle specified. Will "die" if it fails, returns true on success. Contents of the file may then be accessed with "changes" and "files". parse $parser->parse( $string ); Parses the diff present in $string. Will "die" if it fails, returns true on success. Contents of the file may then be accessed with "changes" and "files". files %files = $parser->files; Fetch a list of all the files that were referenced in the patch. The keys are original files ("from-file") and the values are the modified files ("to-file"). changes @changes = $parser->changes; $n = $parser->changes; @changes = $parser->changes( $file ); $n = $parser->changes( $file ); Return all the operations (array context) or the number of operations in the patch file. If $file is specified, only returns changes to that file ("from-file" or "to-file"). Elements of the returned array are change objects, as described in "CHANGE METHODS" below. CHANGE METHODS
The "changes" method returns an array of objects that describe each operation. You may use the following methods to find out details of the operation. type Returns the type of operation, either 'ADD', 'REMOVE', 'MODIFY' or '' (null operation). filename1 Filename of the "from-file". filename2 Filename of the "to-file". line1 Line in the "from-file" the operation starts at. line2 Line in the "to-file" the operation starts at. size Number of lines affected by this operation. text @lines = $ch->text; $line = $ch->text( $N ); Fetch the text of the line $N if present or all lines of affected by this operation. For '' (null) and 'REMOVE' operations, these are the lines present before the operation was done ('from-file'. For 'ADD' and 'MODIFY' operations, these are the lines present after the operation was done ('to-file'. BUGS
I'm not 100% sure of standard diff handling. Missing support for context diffs. SEE ALSO
Text::Diff, Arch, diff. AUTHOR
Philip Gwyn, <gwyn-at-cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2006 by Philip Gwyn This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-11 SVN::Web::DiffParser(3pm)