Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Resizing file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Resizing file Post 46619 by jsilva on Wednesday 21st of January 2004 04:24:16 AM
Old 01-21-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by TRUEST
but how do you go about reducing them. what command?
Compress them with zcat, gzip, compress, zip...

Quote:
does this involve editign the file with vi or cutting it with wc???
If you have text files, you can edit them, just delete the lines you don't want... but it's a tedious job ! Compressing the files will be easier, cleaner and faster !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

filesystems resizing

I want to resize my filesystem partitions. Reason is that I have 11GB of disk space unused by Unix which divvy reveals. Is there a way I could resize my filesystems without doing a reinstallation. The secondary problem is that the boot image is too large for a diskette (5MB). I'm running SCO... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshokunbi
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resizing slices

I downloaded the Solaris recommended patched for x86 and tried to install it, but I got the message that I dont have enough disk space. I don't want to install the patches without the option to back out. Anyway I did a df -k and found that my root mount point is in 948MB whereas my /export/home is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resizing File-Systems

can someone tell me the basic steps needed to resize and existing filesystem that already has data on it? thanks I dont need to be pointed to a website so any real time real life advice or help will be wholly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

4. AIX

Resizing VG with mirror

Dear Friends, I would like to know if there is any chance to expand a Volume Group, If this VG have a mirror. If there is any chance to do this what would be the safer way to avoid lost any data. Sorry about my English.:D Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrispaz
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with resizing partitions

Hi First post :o I have recently used Acronis (Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis) to create identical systems that I need to build. Everything works OK, but one of the machine has a bigger harddisk (250G) than the one I used to create the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forte712
2 Replies

6. SuSE

lvextend on ext3 resizing

Hi all IM very curious about one thing Im currently playing with a test server SLES x64 SP2, and I got to a serious issue which is really sorry for the word pissing me off. :mad: I created an pv, then vg and finaly some lv's which is fine. I mounted then and everything worked fine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Parition Resizing

Is there a way to take space from the /opt slice (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5) and then put it in the /var (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1)? In theory, I should be able to ufsdump /opt and /var to another drive. Use disk label to resize those two slices (ex. take 10G from opt and add to /var) and then newfs and dump back... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adelsin
1 Replies

8. Solaris

vxfs online resizing

Hi, I have two filesystems called /u009 and /u008. I need to release 60gb from /u009 and add it to /u008 fs through fsadm command.. these are vxfs filesystem..its urgent.. thanx in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Resizing a disk

I'm used to using AIX but a new box running Solaris I need a little help with. The disk are presented from a SAN, the disk needing to change is presented as 148GBs drive which was allocated to a file system as the same. I need to change that without losing any data. I know I can change the disk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltlawnman
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

Some doubts about resizing fs's in HP-UX

Hello, I'm new to HP-UX and I'm not sure about some concepts related to resizing fs's under this OS. First of all I'm only asking about resizing ONLINE, it means, without having to umount the fs nor rebooting, etc. Q1. I've read that in order to resize a fs online there are 2 requirements:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
3 Replies
LQR_PROGRESS_SET_INIT(3)				     LqR library API reference					  LQR_PROGRESS_SET_INIT(3)

NAME
lqr_progress_set_init - execude custom code before each rescaling operation SYNOPSIS
#include <lqr.h> LqrRetVal lqr_progress_set_init(LqrProgress* p, LqrProgressFuncInit init_func); DESCRIPTION
The function lqr_progress_set_init sets the hook init_func to the LqrProgress object pointed to by p. The function init_func is of type LqrProgressFuncInit, whose prototype is defined by: typedef LqrRetVal (*LqrProgressFuncInit) (const gchar* init_message); Each time that the function lqr_carver_resize(3) performs a rescale operation (recall that it can perform more than one rescale operation at each call) this function will be called first, with a string argument passed through the parameter init_message, which is different for horizontal and vertical rescalings. The message arguments can be set with the functions lqr_progress_set_init_width_message(3) and lqr_progress_set_init_height_message(3). The default values for newly created LqrProgress objects are: Horizontal: "Resizing width..." Vertical: "Resizing height..." RETURN VALUE
The return value follows the Liquid Rescale library signalling system. SEE ALSO
LqrRetVal(3), lqr_progress_new(3), lqr_progress_set_update(3), lqr_progress_set_end(3), lqr_progress_set_init_width_message(3), lqr_progress_set_init_height_message(3), lqr_progress_set_end_width_message(3), lqr_progress_set_end_height_message(3), lqr_progress_set_update_step(3), lqr_carver_set_progress(3) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2009 Carlo Baldassi LqR library 0.4.1 API (3:1:3) 10 Maj 2009 LQR_PROGRESS_SET_INIT(3)