Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls -l over NFS slow
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ls -l over NFS slow Post 46603 by norsk hedensk on Tuesday 20th of January 2004 09:46:36 PM
Old 01-20-2004
i have, though possibly not related to your problem.

i have a webserver which i run and have installed a perl module to stream mp3s. so all my mp3s are on my computer upstairs in my room. instead of moving everything, i set up an NFS export from my desktop computer. now, lazy person that i am i just dont feel like giving my desktop a static IP. when the lease on the ip from my router expires and i get a new, the NFS mount on the server goes stale.

when i try to do a directory listing inside the parent directory of the NFS mount, the shell locks up.

so have you checked to see if the NFS service is still running on the server-end ?

ps- my fix for the dynamic ip problem:

generally the ip address on my desktop only changes from 192.168.1.102 to 192.168.1.103 and back.

so, i have an NFS mount from BOTH ip address to the same place on the NFS client. i didnt know that would work and i actually dont know WHY that works...but it does Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle

:confused:Hi all When i see in the /var/adm/messages, i saw the following error unix: NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle. unix: (file handle: 45ca415 3e7 a0000 2c7f6 3ebfc25f a0000 2 3e49) It is using sunOS 5.7. Is anybody know what is this error? Is is related to any network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote server mount slow - NFS

Hi, Following my last post I've mounted the remote server on my local server. However copying files from this mounted server is increadbily slow. If I copy files using rcp it's very fast so I assume there must be a setting somewhere? Any help appreicated. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngryBunny
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

NFS writing so slow

Hi, I facing an NFS problem. I have machine1, which has diskA and diskB, and machine2, both are Mandriva 2009 Linux. When I am on machine2 and NFS mount both diskA and diskB of machine1. Writing to diskA is very fast, but writing to diskB is very slow. I tried different mount rsize and wsize... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiepng
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

file writing over nfs very slow

Hi guys, I am trying something. I wrote a simple shell program to test something where continuous while loop writes on a file over the nfs. The time taken to write "hello" 3000 times take about 10 sec which is not right. Ideally it should take fraction of seconds. If I write on the local disk, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhig
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 9 as a nfs client -- centos as a nfs server.

Hello, I have a centos as nfs server, its name is centos_A. After I finish the setup of the nfs server, the other linux can access this nfs server immediately via /net/centos_A/* But, My solaris 9 can not access /net/centos_A/* immediately. I have to leave /net/centos_A, and wait for about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruceharbin
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

RHEL 5.6 Slow rsync to NFS array

Hi All, I have RHEL 5.6 with a 70GB local directory of Web content. Images, PHP scripts etc. I need to copy all this content to an NFS array thats mounted on the RHEL server. I did a baseline cp to copy the content one week ago. Since my baseline copy the local directory has grown by 8GB.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
2 Replies

7. AIX

Slow NFS when cio/dio enabled

Hi, I have a bit of a NFS problem on AiX 6.1 : When I set the mount to cio and dio - needed for a database app - Everything slows down. The following is copying 700mb, top one is a normal mount bottom one is a mount with the cio/dio option enabled : # ./a.sh Wed Jan 11 11:41:24 GMT 2012... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJCG1976
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount NFS Share On NFS Client via bash script.

I need a help of good people with effective bash script to mount nfs shared, By the way I did the searches, since i haven't found that someone wrote a script like this in the past, I'm sure it will serve more people. The scenario as follow: An NFS Client with Daily CRON , running bash script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brian.t
4 Replies

9. Solaris

NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle - Solaris 10

Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: (file handle: 68000000 1bc5492e 20000000 377c5e 1ce9395c 720a6203 40000000 bdfb0400) Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host zyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies