Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup Post 46459 by jurrien on Friday 16th of January 2004 10:03:43 AM
Old 01-16-2004
on my freebsd after doing man tar is saw the option
--multi-volume Create/list/extract multi-volume archive.

maybey it helps

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The best backup

I am taking a class all about linux. Where where asked to find the best backup program. We never did agree and are system was set up with scp because some one already knew how to use it and thus the quickest to set up. Great example of legacy support. However, on my computer i do not have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding backup

hi i wanna know that is any such type of backup possible in Solaris or AIX that if my system crashes and i had to format the server.........then i shud be able to build the server with that backup only...........if so how thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

4. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup to CD ????? any one know how to do ???

hi, am trying to backup data on cd, cuz i don not have tape device....!!! i've rewritable CDROM, am using solaris 10 for x86 on vmware ..... how to make a backup data to a cd_rom againist to tape ? # ufsdump 0f cd_rom (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasame
1 Replies

6. AIX

backup

hi seniors today i took a backup using tar cmd in this i took two files for backup,backup was done succesfully but while viewing using tar -tvf ------- its showiing only one file at a time and i took backup in /etc/hosts,/etc/sen/nes (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup a file and keep every version of the backup

I am trying to backup my .bash_history and I want to keep every version of the backup. I am thinking to put one of these in my crontab. 0 0 * * 0,3 cat .bash_history > boo 0 0 * * 0,3 cp .bash_history boo I would like the backups to be called boo1, boo2, boo3, etc. I would like to keep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)					       AFS Command Reference						BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)

NAME
backup_dbverify - Checks the integrity of the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup dbverify [-detail] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup db [-d] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup dbverify command checks the integrity of the Backup Database. The command's output indicates whether the Backup Database is damaged (data is corrupted) or not. If the Backup Database is undamaged, it is safe to continue using it. If it is corrupted, discontinue any backup operations until it is repaired. CAUTIONS
While this command runs, no other backup operation can access the Backup Database; the other commands do not run until this command completes. Avoid issuing this command when other backup operations are likely to run. The backup savedb command repairs some types of corruption. OPTIONS
-detail Reports the number of orphaned blocks found, any inconsistencies, and the name of the server machine running the Backup Server that is checking its copy of the database. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The command displays one of the following two messages: Database OK The database is undamaged and can be used. Database not OK The database is damaged. You can use the backup savedb command to repair many kinds of corruption as it creates a backup copy. For more detailed instructions, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations. The -detail flag provides additional information: o The number of orphan blocks found. These are ranges of memory that the Backup Server preallocated in the database but cannot use. Orphan blocks do not interfere with database access, but do waste disk space. To free the unusable space, dump the database to tape by using the backup savedb command, and then restore it by using the backup restoredb command. o Any inconsistencies in the database, such as invalid hostnames for Tape Coordinator machines. o The name of the database server machine on which the Backup Database was checked, designated as the "Database checker". For a detailed trace of the verification operation, see the /var/log/openafs/BackupLog file on the indicated machine. You can use the bos getlog command to display it. EXAMPLES
The following command confirms that the Backup Database is undamaged: % backup dbverify Database OK The following command confirms that the Backup Database is undamaged and that it has no orphan blocks or invalid Tape Coordinator entries. The Backup Server running on the machine "db1.abc.com" checked its copy of the Database. % backup dbverify -detail Database OK Orphan blocks 0 Database checker was db1.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
BackupLog(5), backup(8), backup_restoredb(8), backup_savedb(8), bos_getlog(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)