Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users creating user accounts in AIX Post 46453 by dnardi212 on Friday 16th of January 2004 08:59:40 AM
Old 01-16-2004
Maybe the other users created on the system use a different home directory with a specific .profile. Check the home directory of another user that is logging in the way you want. In that directory look at the .profile file. Compare this to the .profile file in the home directory of the new user you created.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Creating mail accounts online.?

Hi all. Can anybody help me about this topic. I am working on the project which lets people create an mail account an sign in to send or recieve mail( shortly like yahoo hotmail). At the moment , records of People who registers to my mail service, is saved to database.after, I am creating... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vbs
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[LINUX] Creating new user accounts

I've had Linux when I was young, on one of our first computers and learned it pretty quickly... However, I've been working on Windows for about 7 years now and just made the switch back to Linux, Mandrake 9.1. So I have some problem with creating new user accounts. I could create one, but once I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arendo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating User Accounts from a list in file

I have a file that contains a list of names. I need a loop that creates user accounts to all the names in the list where username = names in file password = username Another question: how can i validate that a particular var is of 6 characters length I need an if statement that will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laila Saif
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user accounts

Hey everyone I am new to the forums and to Unix. I am currently taking a class on Unix, our teacher posed the question to us How do u create a user account without using GUI or command? We are currently running Knoppix version of Unix and for the life of me I can't figure out how this is possible.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redditt90kg
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX:creating user with username more than 8 chars

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuafs84
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating user accounts

Hi, I have written a program using shell scripting. When you run the file it will asks you to enter the user name, if the user exists it says " user exists " if not it will displays like " user doesnt exist" and then asks you like " do you want to add user with options Yes or No " if you say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwaprasad
1 Replies

7. AIX

script for creating aix user

Hi Guys, I want to create user with a script: user name, user id, primary group, group set, home directory, initial program, password, user information, another user can SU to user. And all the rest is the default. Does anyone already have the script for this? Can you please share it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding AIX user accounts expired or locked

// AIX 6.1 In need of finding which AIX user accounts will be expired and are locked. I have placed the following parameters under /etc/security/user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies
INSTALL-MH(8)							     [nmh-1.5]							     INSTALL-MH(8)

NAME
install-mh - initialize the nmh environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/install-mh [-auto] [-check] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Install-mh is the nmh program to create the initial setup for a first-time nmh user. Install-mh lives in two places for historical rea- sons. The -auto option does things as automatically as possible and makes install-mh less chatty. The user is asked for the name of the directory that will be designated as the user's nmh directory. If this directory does not exist, the user is asked if it should be created. Normally, this directory should be under the user's home directory, and has the default name of ``Mail''. Install-mh writes an initial .mh_profile for the user. As with all nmh commands, install-mh first checks for the existence of the $MH environment variable since that gives the profile path if set. If it isn't set, the $HOME environment variable is consulted to determine the user's home directory. If $HOME is not set, then the /etc/passwd file is consulted. When creating the users initial .mh_profile, install-mh will check for the existence of a global profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile. If found, this will be used to initialize the new .mh_profile. The -check option can be used to check whether or not nmh has been installed. This can be used by other programs to determine whether or not nmh has been installed without their having to know the internals of nmh. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile Used to initialize user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To set the user's nmh directory CONTEXT
With -auto, the current folder is changed to "inbox". MH.6.8 11 June 2012 INSTALL-MH(8)