Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar - restore a file
Operating Systems Solaris tar - restore a file Post 46251 by frustrated1 on Monday 12th of January 2004 08:38:31 AM
Old 01-12-2004
I need to extract a file and place in a different directory on the server as I do not wish to overwrite the current file..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot restore a TAR backup

I backed up a unix database using "tar -cvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800 /*" Normally I would restore this using "tar -xvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800" This is reporting an error about "not enough memory" I have done a new test backup and restore using the same commands and they work. ANY IDEAS ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross.Goodman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding tar restore

I created a relative backup of my home directory using tar into a file named backup.tar. No problem there. I checked it out using the table of contents command to list the contents of the backup.tar file, and there is no problem there either. But, when I tried restoring backup.tar into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar - restore only file of specific dates

hi there, anybody know if there is any efficient way of restoring only files of specific dates from a tape (with tar command)? :rolleyes: coz the tapes containing few weeks' files, but i need only files of a few days..... any kind feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advanced. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie168
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restore files with TAR -- Help

Hi, Can anyone tell me the right TAR command to restore all the files dirs/subdirs/files etc. to a given directory on my hdd from a TAPE drive? I already used the list function to see that there is data on it with this commando: # tar tf /dev/st0 Now I need to copy all the data to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: severt
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to restore an entire system from a tar file?

Hi folks, I have an image backup of an entire file system (Solaris 9 on N240) on a tar file. How can I use this tar file to retore my system? Thanks, omd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omd
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Backup and restore using tar

This will be covered elsewhere im sure but i just cant seem to find my exact issue. I want to backup my systems using tar, command is: tar -cjpf /backup /bin /etc /home /opt /root /sbin /usr /var /bootWhen i include the / directory it also tar's the /lib /sys /proc /dev filesystems too (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

10. HP-UX

Unable to restore *.tar file

I tarred a directory to a different location. I then deleted the original directory. Now I need to restore the directory, and I am unable to do so (The contents do not get restored). However, when I type tar -tvf <tarfile), the list of contents are displayed : # tar -tvf lhs20170405.tar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
7 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)