Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup Post 46218 by hisham.hamdy on Sunday 11th of January 2004 05:52:14 AM
Old 01-11-2004
Backup

Dear All
I have an HP 9000/800 UNIX machine , I have also Oracle applications 11i installed on it , we tried to take backup using fbackup command but it skipped some files ( was for database and the database was up and running ) but it took the other database files.

I need to know also , at the moment I have the larg file support deactivated , is there any problems to acticvate it to support file size beyond 2G.

can CP command work with tape drive.

can TAR command be used with tapes bearing in mind that tape change is required to backup a mount point of 70G and tape is 20G only ( 3 tapes to swap here )

thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The best backup

I am taking a class all about linux. Where where asked to find the best backup program. We never did agree and are system was set up with scp because some one already knew how to use it and thus the quickest to set up. Great example of legacy support. However, on my computer i do not have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding backup

hi i wanna know that is any such type of backup possible in Solaris or AIX that if my system crashes and i had to format the server.........then i shud be able to build the server with that backup only...........if so how thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

4. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup to CD ????? any one know how to do ???

hi, am trying to backup data on cd, cuz i don not have tape device....!!! i've rewritable CDROM, am using solaris 10 for x86 on vmware ..... how to make a backup data to a cd_rom againist to tape ? # ufsdump 0f cd_rom (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasame
1 Replies

6. AIX

backup

hi seniors today i took a backup using tar cmd in this i took two files for backup,backup was done succesfully but while viewing using tar -tvf ------- its showiing only one file at a time and i took backup in /etc/hosts,/etc/sen/nes (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup a file and keep every version of the backup

I am trying to backup my .bash_history and I want to keep every version of the backup. I am thinking to put one of these in my crontab. 0 0 * * 0,3 cat .bash_history > boo 0 0 * * 0,3 cp .bash_history boo I would like the backups to be called boo1, boo2, boo3, etc. I would like to keep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
MT(1L)																	    MT(1L)

NAME
mt - control magnetic tape drive operation SYNOPSIS
mt [-V] [-f device] [--file=device] [--rsh-command=command] [--version] operation [count] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of mt. mt performs the given operation, which must be one of the tape operations listed below, on a tape drive. The default tape device to operate on is taken from the file /usr/include/sys/mtio.h when mt is compiled. It can be overridden by giving a device file name in the environment variable TAPE or by a command line option (see below), which also overrides the environment variable. The device must be either a character special file or a remote tape drive. To use a tape drive on another machine as the archive, use a filename that starts with `HOSTNAME:'. The hostname can be preceded by a username and an `@' to access the remote tape drive as that user, if you have permission to do so (typically an entry in that user's `~/.rhosts' file). The available operations are listed below. Unique abbreviations are accepted. Not all operations are available on all systems, or work on all types of tape drives. Some operations optionally take a repeat count, which can be given after the operation name and defaults to 1. eof, weof Write count EOF marks at current position. fsf Forward space count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the next file. bsf Backward space count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the next file. fsr Forward space count records. bsr Backward space count records. bsfm Backward space count file marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-the-tape side of the file mark. fsfm Forward space count file marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-the-tape side of the file mark. asf Absolute space to file number count. Equivalent to rewind followed by fsf count. eom Space to the end of the recorded media on the tape (for appending files onto tapes). rewind Rewind the tape. offline, rewoffl Rewind the tape and, if applicable, unload the tape. status Print status information about the tape unit. retension Rewind the tape, then wind it to the end of the reel, then rewind it again. erase Erase the tape. fss (SCSI tapes) Forward space count setmarks. bss (SCSI tapes) Backward space count setmarks. wset (SCSI tapes) Write count setmarks at current position (only SCSI tape). eod, seod Space to end of valid data. Used on streamer tape drives to append data to the logical and of tape. setblk (SCSI tapes) Set the block size of the drive to count bytes per record. setdensity (SCSI tapes) Set the tape density code to count. The proper codes to use with each drive should be looked up from the drive docu- mentation. drvbuffer (SCSI tapes) Set the tape drive buffer code to number. The proper value for unbuffered operation is zero and "normal" buffered operation one. The meanings of other values can be found in the drive documentation or, in case of a SCSI-2 drive, from the SCSI-2 standard. stoptions (SCSI tapes) Set the driver options bits to count for the device. The bits can be set by oring the following values: 1 to enable write buffering, 2 to enable asynchronous writes, 4 to enable read ahead, 8 to enable debugging output (if it has been compiled to the driver). stwrthreshold (SCSI tapes) The write threshold for the tape device is set to count kilobytes. The value must be smaller than or equal to the driver buffer size. seek (SCSI tapes) Seek to the count block on the tape. This operation is available on some Tandberg and Wangtek streamers and some SCSI-2 tape drives. tell (SCSI tapes) Tell the current block on tape. This operation is available on some Tandberg and Wangtek streamers and some SCSI-2 tape drives. densities (SCSI tapes) Write explanation of some common density codes to standard output. datcompression (some SCSI-2 DAT tapes) Inquire or set the compression status (on/off). If the count is one the compression status is printed. If the count is zero, compression is disabled. Otherwise, compression is enabled. The command uses the SCSI ioctl to read and write the Data Compression Characteristics mode page(15). ONLY ROOT CAN USE THIS COMMAND. mt exits with a status of 0 if the operation succeeded, 1 if the operation or device name given was invalid, or 2 if the operation failed. OPTIONS -f, --file=device Use device as the file name of the tape drive to operate on. To use a tape drive on another machine, use a filename that starts with `HOSTNAME:'. The hostname can be preceded by a username and an `@' to access the remote tape drive as that user, if you have permission to do so (typically an entry in that user's `~/.rhosts' file). --rsh-command=command Notifies mt that it should use command to communicate with remote devices instead of /usr/bin/ssh or /usr/bin/rsh. -V, --version Print the version number of mt. MT(1L)