Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bootup script
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users bootup script Post 46163 by vascobrito on Friday 9th of January 2004 11:08:38 AM
Old 01-09-2004
I love this forum
Thanks Perderabo, you were right.
I looked into rc.log , and found a "/sbin/rc2.d/S999myscript: execute permission denied
start FAILED

I dont know why it doesn't start but this is a point to go from.
By the way, could this have something to do with the run level?
or could be about permissions, wich would be strange since the script was created by "root"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Triple bootup

Hi guys, May I know how to install Solaris 8 in the way that I can triple boot it with my the other two OS: WIndows ME and Windows 2000 Pro. Can you all please kindly advise me on how to setup the triple boot process inorder to allow Windows ME to be the default OS when being ask to choose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cia
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootup Error

Hi all The following error was displayed when a sco server (5.0.5) was booted. What should be done to overcome the problem. Replies appreciated. Bios 03.0 0130688 KB memory good 01 processor(s) in system remote console dialing on, please wait connect fail : modem off cpu clock... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why not automatic bootup

Evry time I start up my mavhine ,have to type in unix at Boot : Is there a way unix should bootup automatically? Asif (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asif iqbal
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to start ssh at bootup

Hi i installed ssh of version v 1.21 and my AIX is of 5.3. I want to start my ssh deamon at the startup can any one please help me out reg.. Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmalla
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX server freezes on bootup

Issue: AIX server freezes on bootup. Server AIX ver 4.3.3.0 When the AIX server reboots it negotiates NIS. During startup of NFS, customer gets one or more of the following error messages: 0513-056 Timeout waiting for command response. If you specified a foreign host, see the /etc/inittab file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srzaman1
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple runlevel options at Bootup

Is it possible to give multiple runlevel options during boot up.. When the Welcome screen appears, i want to give multiple runlevel options.. So the user can boot into any desired runlevel he wants.. Found this kinda interesting.. Any hints and solutions please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikumar_cs
2 Replies

7. AIX

File system not mounting at bootup

Hi, I've got a recent problem with 2 file systems on an AIX 5.3 server. The fs's are marked to auto mount at startup and do show as being mounted after a a restart however if you cd to the mount point and 'df -g .' it shows the fs hasn't actually mounted. $ mount |grep SQLT0001.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootup sequence

What is the boot up sequence in UNIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
2 Replies

9. Linux

Script under rc3.d not being executed on server bootup

Hello all, I have a script callled 'ABCstartup' setup under /etc/rc.d/init.d Softlink 'S91ABCstartup' pointing to above script has been created under /etc/rc.d/rc3.d The script is not being executed when the server restarts. The script runs successfully via manual execution:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
5 Replies

10. SCO

Error F painit on bootup

I have a known good external SCSI HD running SCO UNIX OpenServer 5.0.7. I decided that I wanted to be able to run this drive on another computer, so I bought the same SCSI card as before (LSI) and then attempted to boot on the other system. The bootup process hung with the error F painit. I've... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Transpower
13 Replies
rc2(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    rc2(8)

NAME
rc2 - Run command script executed when entering a multiuser run level SYNOPSIS
rc2 DESCRIPTION
The rc2 script contains run commands that enable initialization of the system to a multiuser state; run level 2. In addition to commands listed within the script itself, rc2 contains instructions to run certain commands found in the /sbin/rc2.d directory. The script defines the conditions under which the commands execute; some commands run if the system is booting, other commands execute if the system is chang- ing run levels. By convention, files in the /sbin/rc2.d directory begin with either the letter "K" or the letter "S" and are followed by a two-digit number and a filename; for example: K00lpd S00savecore S25uucp In general, the system starts commands that begin with the letter "S" and stops commands that begin with the letter "K." Commands that begin with the letter "K" run only when the system is changing run levels from a higher to a lower level. Commands that begin with the letter "S" run in all cases. The numbering of commands in the /sbin/rc2.d directory is important since the numbers are sorted and the com- mands are run in ascending order. Files in the /sbin/rc2.d directory are normally links to files in the /etc/init.d directory. An entry in the inittab file causes the system to execute the rc2 run commands, for example: s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2 < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1 The following operations are typical of those that result from executing the rc2 script and the commands located in the /sbin/rc2.d direc- tory. The operation depends on which state the system is entering or exiting. Setting the time zone Checking the current run level Stop- ping network services and daemons Starting (or stopping) system services and daemons Starting the cron daemon Setting up paging and dump facilities Setting up uucp files Setting the TIMEZONE variable is one of the first operations completed by the rc2 script. This action provides the default time zone for subsequent commands. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the directory of commands that correspond to the run level RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: init(8), rc0(8), rc3(8) delim off rc2(8)