Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: installing open bsd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers installing open bsd Post 46084 by ferret on Thursday 8th of January 2004 08:10:04 AM
Old 01-08-2004
installing openbsd

Thanks for the quick reply, the main problem is that after the installation it would'nt boot up. I'm using a maxtor 40GB IDE drive and putting bsd on app' a 10GB slice which is made into an active partition. there's nothing else on the disk

disk geometry is :
disk : wd0
77557 / 254 / 63 with app' 78,177,456 sectors.
offset : 0 signature : 0x0 ( not oxAA55 as it should be )
# id
*0 A6

I'm starting from cyl 0 to 1
# : id C H S - C H S
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*0: 06 0 1 1 - 1500 254 63

I;ve a feeling that its something to do with my disk partitioning ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error shutting down open bsd

The method I use to shut down my box is as follows : shutdown +3 -h logout the box indicates shutdown complete, so I switch off the power. When I reboot next time I get a Warning message in the bootup screen stating the that it was not shutdown correctly. being a newbie I'm kind of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ferret
1 Replies

2. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

3. BSD

installing free BSD

Hello friends. I am new to Unix although i am very flexible to any programming language. i was a window user. Now, no more. I have decided myself to switch to unix. Here is my problem: I burned the free BSD into my new RW CD's. I inserted the bootable manager first then, it was scanning and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonjour2006
5 Replies

4. BSD

Open (and Free) BSD with Jmicron 20339 USB <-> SATA II chipset

Hello! Some time ago I did something stupid, I bought 4 harddisk cases (sata -> USB) without checking enough if it is supported by my choise of OS. I was thinking of using FreeBSD on my new NAS (a sunblade 100), but after discovering that is didn't work, I started to search for information. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Problem while installing Open Pegasus

Hi All, I am new to Pegasus, I have Fedora 8 and have also downloaded tog-pegasus-2.8.0-1.src.rpm from www.openpeasus.org, when i try to install by using #rpm -ih tog-pegasus-2.8.0-1.src.rpm and then try to build it, using #rpmbuild --bb /usr/src/redhat/specs/tog-pegasus.spec it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbpreetham
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing SU coreutils from BSD to unix AIX

Dear all Good day. Can any one advice me how to install the SU tool coreutils from BSD installed with linux on AIX unix ??? Thx in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
0 Replies

7. AIX

Installing HP open view in AIX

Hi, I am new to AIX, I have to install HP Open View on AIX OS and I would appreciate if anyone can guide me how to install it step be step, any pointer in the direction would also help. I thank all in advance ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rookie_newbie
1 Replies

8. AIX

Installing Open SSL on AIX 6.1

Hello, I want to install openssl-1.0.1c-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm on IBM AIX 6.1 server machine and when I try to install the same as : rpm -ivh openssl-1.0.1c-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpmI get the error saying that it needs the following dependencies : error: failed dependencies: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaugeta
2 Replies
installboot(1M)                                                                                                                    installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)