Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to zero a file using csh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to zero a file using csh Post 45998 by jayakhanna on Wednesday 7th of January 2004 07:53:04 AM
Old 01-07-2004
echo -n "" > somefile

Regards
JK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the Void File in CSH

First and foremost, this is not a homework for your information. I'm just new to using c-shell programming and I just wanted to make my life easier @ work. Say, the file contains the following: ID FILE NO. SL VP 1 1 22 33 1 2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh to check for existence of file

Hi, I would like to check the existence of files (doesn;t matter the number of files) in a directory. My file is named in the following manner (always ending with " myfile "). Can anybody give me some guidance? EG: abc1_myfile sdfr_myfile sffgd_myfile and so on ...... My... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Convert to CSH File

Hi Everyone, I have a body of code that I'd like to know how to convert to a csh file. In Unix, under a directory, I wish to ls into each of its subdirectories: In Unix prompt I type foreach i(*) foreach? ls $i foreach? end however, when I try to store this body of code in .csh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommms
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSH: step on the lines in a file

Hi, does somebody know how can I step on the lines in a file? I would like to read a file line by line. And after every line I'd like to do other commands. Lets help me! ;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mig8
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there anyway for file renaming in csh

Hi, I have the files like in a directory. filerefcellhg1.txt filerefcellhg2.txt filerefcellhg3.txt filerefcellhg4.txt filerefcellhg5.txt filerefcellhg6.txt filedonotchange.txt filedonot Desired output: filerefhg1.txt filereflhg2.txt filerefhg3.txt filerefhg4.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanth_vadalur
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh script get file extension

Hi All I have a csh shell script which should check if a given file is a zip file as below: **************************************** #!/bin/csh -f if ]; then echo is a zip file else echo sorry not a zip file endif exit **************************************** ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj144
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in .csh file

Hi all, I am trying to modify a script for research purposes and am having difficulty here as I have little prior experience with C-shell scripting. The script looks as follows (it includes tcl commands like runFEP that you can ignore) #!/bin/bash for ((old=1, new=2; old<=4; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the file name to a different one using csh

I have a file name n10-z30-dsr65-ndelt1.00-varp0.08-16x12drw-csq-msf.ps and I want to remove the varp info tag to get n10-z30-dsr65-ndelt1.00-16x12drw-csq-msf.ps Trying to use tr, but when I tried replacing varp with ooo I am getting the results below: echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a file in a csh script?

Hi, I have a csh script. I want to set some variables and execute some command from a file in that script. abc.csh echo "primary script" b setenv XXX ddd set XX make abc I want to execute the commands of "b" file from abc.csh. How can i do that. Please view this link: How to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
3 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)