Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming HELP broadcasting client IDs to network in C Post 45851 by dooker on Sunday 4th of January 2004 02:12:33 PM
Old 01-04-2004
Question HELP broadcasting client IDs to network in C

I am trying to write a client server chat program in C and am unsure as to how I would broadcast all the users IDs over the network. At the moment I have the usernames stored in a array clientsock[sock].cl_id, I am able to output this information to the server but am unsure how to transmit this information to all the users.

If someone could help me to understand how to transmit string from an array element over a network I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

broadcasting failed 'su root'

hi, if i try to 'su' to root and enter the wrong password, the failed su is broadcastet to all user logged in on the machine. Anyone know where i can stop that broadcast? thanks Lazzar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

radio broadcasting

hi I wanna make radio broadcasting from my web page. I am planning to use a linux server. I have no idea about how can I do :( I heard about RealPlayer can be used but ,unfortunatelly, I don't know how! Any suggestions and advices are welcome.... thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

3. Solaris

SPARCstation 5 broadcasting

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

4. Solaris

One time network boot of Jumpstart x86 client

I am trying to find an approach that has been effective for automating the installation of Solaris 10 x86 using Jumpstart technology. I have configured an Jumpstart server and a Solaris dhcp server with appropriate macros for passing the client information about its boot environment. The problem is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chajo19
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Email alert when client in blacklist joins network

I have a textfile with a list of strings I want to monitor in my network. alertlist: hans franz tanzSo it can output for me whenever the a strings it matched: #!/bin/sh while : ; do testfile="/var/media/ftp/alertlist.txt" ] && echo "${testfile##*/} exists." || echo "${testfile##*/}... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

List of all ids,groups, privilege ids

I wish to pull out a list of all user ids on the system, including the privileged ids, the groups to which they belong to. Sometimes after deleting an id also, its home dir does not get deleted or an entry is left behind in /etc/passwd. Can someone help me with a script to achieve both. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies
rwho(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   rwho(1)

NAME
rwho - Shows which users are logged into hosts on the local network. SYNOPSIS
rwho [-a] rwho [-a] [users] OPTIONS
Includes all users. Without this option, users whose sessions are idle an hour or more are not included in the report. DESCRIPTION
The rwho command displays the username, hostname, and start date and time of each session for everyone on the local network who is cur- rently logged in to a host running the rwhod daemon. If one or more user names are specified, only the status of those users whose names are listed appears on the screen. If a user has not typed anything for at least 3 minutes, rwho reports the idle time as a number of minutes in the last column. After an hour of inactivity, a user is not included unless the -a option is specified. Because this command displays a lot of output, use this command with caution if the local network has a large number of users. Status information is broadcast once every 3 minutes by each network host running the rwhod daemon. Any activity (such as a user logging on or off) that takes place between broadcasts is not reflected until the next broadcast. EXAMPLES
To get a report of all users currently logged into hosts on the local network, enter: $ rwho bob host2:pts5 Nov 17 06:30 :20 bob host7:console Nov 17 06:25 :25 franz host1:pts0 Nov 17 11:20 :51 franz host1:pts8 Nov 16 15:33 :42 franz host4:console Nov 17 16:32 pietro host1:console Nov 17 13:14 :31 pietro host1:pts7 Nov 17 13:15 :47 server host2:console Nov 17 06:58 :20 luis host2:pts6 Nov 17 09:22 FILES
Indicates data files received from remote rwhod daemons. SEE ALSO
Commands: ruptime(1), rwhod(8) rwho(1)