Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users too many files open and questions Post 45775 by lmcanth on Wednesday 31st of December 2003 12:05:25 PM
Old 12-31-2003
I spoke to the 3pp and they use fopen frequently in their C code. However there is a limit to the soft limit and it can only go up to 255.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p...olaris?rev=1.6

This link details this.

We have quite a few Corba objects that are open, could it be possible that these objects are using up the soft limit resources?

In that case, even if it is set to 255 we can easily reach this limit right?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to check no. of files open currently

I'm getting an error "too many files open" # ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) 8192 coredump(blocks) unlimited nofiles(descriptors) 256 memory(kbytes) unlimited # hard limit shows 1024 I would like to know how many files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: max_min
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Too Many files open

Hi , We are using a Tool which runs on Unix Server. Have a Event which have some join operation and tries to open files depending on the join operation. So get the error config/variants/orcl6/partitions/ml6/data/ap_PCardMap.csv (Too many open files) Can someone please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashank_recj
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Newbie questions about HOME directory files

Hi, I am newbie to Solaris and system administration in general, and I have a couple of questions about files in my HOME directory. When I perform ls -la, I get the following list of files: drwxr-xr-x 7 XXXYYY staff 17 Aug 24 07:31 . drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat multiple files questions

Hi-- I'm trying to figure out how to use cat more wisely. I have the following command, which works, but I'd like to understand how to get it to work more clearly and efficiently. cat 'my file.001' 'my file.002' 'my file.003' 'my file.004' 'my file.005' 'my file.006' 'my file.007' 'my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlinsurf
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun Open Storage Questions

Hey All, I had some minor questions regarding Sun's open storage I understand it uses standard industry hardware (is the warranty void if we were to mix and match drives?) I know it uses OpenSolaris for the storage features (but can it use any os?) Does it have to be OpenSource? I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
7 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

open files

I want to open a file and edit it using vi However, i dont want to open directories or binary files. how can i do this? Right now it opens all files without caring echo "please enter a file to edit in Vi" read file if then (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files questions

Hello, I have two files A and B. File A had a million records with each record been 10-digit number. File B had 400,000 records with each record been 10-digit number. There are some common and different records. I need to print out records in A that are not in B. Please assist. Thanks - jak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flagging Open Files

A quick breakdown of my situation: I have 2 servers running OS 10.7, one in the US, the other in China. A folder is being synchronized via EMC's "Syncplicity". Here is my problem- When we open an Excel spreadsheet on one server, Syncplicity does not sync over the temporary file that Excel... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Process to use open files

I would like to test open files usage in my system, if I want to create a process ( or script ) that can use a certain amount ( eg. 1000 ) of open files , is it possible to create such process ( or script ) ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
3 Replies
FOPEN(3S)																 FOPEN(3S)

NAME
fopen, freopen, fdopen - open a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *fopen(filename, type) char *filename, *type; FILE *freopen(filename, type, stream) char *filename, *type; FILE *stream; FILE *fdopen(fildes, type) char *type; DESCRIPTION
Fopen opens the file named by filename and associates a stream with it. Fopen returns a pointer to be used to identify the stream in sub- sequent operations. Type is a character string having one of the following values: "r" open for reading "w" create for writing "a" append: open for writing at end of file, or create for writing In addition, each type may be followed by a "+" to have the file opened for reading and writing. "r+" positions the stream at the begin- ning of the file, "w+" creates or truncates it, and "a+" positions it at the end. Both reads and writes may be used on read/write streams, with the limitation that an fseek, rewind, or reading an end-of-file must be used between a read and a write or vice-versa. Freopen substitutes the named file in place of the open stream. It returns the original value of stream. The original stream is closed. Freopen is typically used to attach the preopened constant names, stdin, stdout, stderr, to specified files. Fdopen associates a stream with a file descriptor obtained from open, dup, creat, or pipe(2). The type of the stream must agree with the mode of the open file. SEE ALSO
open(2), fclose(3) DIAGNOSTICS
Fopen and freopen return the pointer NULL if filename cannot be accessed, if too many files are already open, or if other resources needed cannot be allocated. BUGS
Fdopen is not portable to systems other than UNIX. The read/write types do not exist on all systems. Those systems without read/write modes will probably treat the type as if the "+" was not present. These are unreliable in any event. In order to support the same number of open files as does the system, fopen must allocate additional memory for data structures using cal- loc after 20 files have been opened. This confuses some programs which use their own memory allocators. An undocumented routine, f_preal- loc, may be called to force immediate allocation of all internal memory except for buffers. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FOPEN(3S)