Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers determine the size of a file??? Post 45747 by alan on Tuesday 30th of December 2003 01:55:14 PM
Old 12-30-2003
Re: determine the size of a file???

Quote:
Originally posted by alan
Hello,

Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the size of a file? ...

Thanks to all of you for your replies. This helps me a great deal!! Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to determine the max file size

Does anyone know a way to determine the maximum filesize on a file system on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, and OSF1 using the command line? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dknight
2 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

determine the physical size of the hard disk

Hi is there a cmd in hpux 11 to determine the physical size of the hard disk. not bdf command. i have searched the other threads here but cant find an answer. thank you guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoffies
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine switch buffer size

Hi everybody, I need to calculate the tcp buffer size of a network switch, since it's not specified in the manual; how do I do this? I have some machines connected to the switch and I can run some socket tests written in C between these machines (I can choose how many bytes to send and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimpim
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

7. Programming

Perl : Inline program to determine file size

Hi, I have 5 files as below $ ll sam* -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Mar 21 06:06 sam3 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Apr 3 22:41 sam2 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 17335 Apr 10 06:07 sam1 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 5 Apr 10 07:53 sam5 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 661 Apr 10 08:16 sam4 I want to list out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to determine Date,TotalFile,total size of file based on date

I have file listed like below -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 26 14:43 test1.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 26 14:44 test2.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 27 10:41 test3.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 244K Nov 27 10:41 test4.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 27 10:41 test5.gz I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I determine the best number to use for the bs (block size) operand of the dd command?

When I create a bootable Linux distro installation USB drive, I use this command: sudo dd if=/Path/to/linux_distro.iso of=/dev/rdisk<disk number> bs=<number of bytes> When I look it up, I've seen variations of people choosing 4M, and I think 8M, 2M, and maybe even 1M. If I leave the operand... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quenz
4 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)