Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kornshell convdate
Top Forums Programming Kornshell convdate Post 45705 by nezster on Tuesday 30th of December 2003 05:38:24 AM
Old 12-30-2003
Question Kornshell convdate

Hello,

I'm currently doing some programming using the Kornshell environment. I have just been on a Unix course where our instructor gave us some coding examples. I am using one of these examples to solve a few problems.

However, the code examples use a function called 'convdate' to convert a date into seconds since 1970. I do not have this function on this version of Unix. I have looked on the internet and found that it is a common function to have.

Please could someone advise me as to where to get a copy of this function from. How to install it on Unix so I (and preferably my other 3 programming colleagues) can see and use it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kornshell 93

I've been asked to upgrade from Kornshell 88 to Kornshell 93 on a Solaris 7 box. Since my experience with Unix is limited can anyone point me in the right direction? Specifically, where can I get the files that I need to do the upgrade? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ask Me
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with KornShell script

I need a KornShell script that will, among all the users currently logged on to the system, find a slot of one hour that contains the most number of users. I know how to list all the users currently logged on but how do I do anything with the times that are listed? Please help, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckrieger1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with Kornshell function

I am trying to write a Kornshell function that takes a string parameter which represents a filename or directory name. The function checks to see if there are any spaces in the filename or directory name and then replaces the spaces with an underscore. The returned value is a filename or directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckrieger1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[kornshell] Getting the next weekday date

Hi All can anyone help me with this, Im new to kornshell scripting and is trying to get the next weekday to a variable: strDate=%date '+%Y%m%d' // YYYYMMDD strNewDate= :confused: // assuming that current date is 20050812 (friday) then strNewDate will get 20050815 (monday) or if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rs_f01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Kornshell Script

Hi, I'm a novice at programming and need some help with a kornshell script I've been writting. I have an inputdirectory with all my .shp files. In my input directory the shapefiles are named XXXX_original.shp, XXXX_UPDATE.shp ect. In my .ksh script I have created a for loop which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beery
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem on kornshell

HI, Requirement: I need to pass space between argument value for the paramter "GPG_PUBLIC_UID" but whenever i use single quotes or double quotes while supplying value for the arguments to the script, i see the value of the field "GPG_PUBLIC_UID" is getting splitted and my script fails to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachaysh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kornshell grabbing value from file

I have a script right now that I run a command which outputs just one word to a file. Well I need to grab that value and use it in another line of code so... touch oraclesid.txt echo $ORACLE_SID > oraclesid.txt #grab that value sqlplus v500/v500@<value> how do I grab that value from the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blogger11
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kornshell Using a variable in a command

So Here is my code cd $cer_mgr table='hostname' environment='echo $environment' cat mq_$table_$environment_startup.ksh I'm trying to make the results of the command "hostname" into a variable so that i can use it in my cat command. Well what I have is not working. So how do I use that... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kornshell finding operating system

This should be really simple but I can't figure it out. :wall: Whats the command to find the operating system version thats running. I need to know if the node my script gets run on is HP-UX or linux or AIX or Oracle (6 Replies)
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] String length in kornshell

In the kornshell you can get the length of a string with $ x=abc $ print ${#x} 3 If the current locale is a multibyte locale, like de_AT.UTF-8, you get the length of the string in bytes, not characters: $ x=für $ print ${#x} 4 Is there an easy way to get the length of a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hergp
8 Replies
mkmanifest(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mkmanifest(1)

Name
       mkmanifest - makes list of file names and their DOS 8+3 equivalent

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mkmanifest command is used to create a shell script (packing list) to restore Unix filenames. Its syntax is:

mkmanifest [ files ]

Mkmanifest creates a shell script that aids in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the  MS-DOS  filename  restrictions.
       MS-DOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters.

The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MS-
       DOS restrictions. This command is only useful if the target system which will read the diskette cannot handle VFAT long names.

Example
       You want to copy the following Unix files to a MS-DOS diskette (using the mcopy command).

very_long_name
	    2.many.dots
	    illegal:
	    good.c
	    prn.dev
	    Capital

ASCII converts the names to:

very_lon
	    2xmany.dot
	    illegalx
	    good.c
	    xprn.dev
	    capital

The command:

mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital >manifest

would produce the following:

mv very_lon very_long_name
	    mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots
	    mv illegalx illegal:
	    mv xprn.dev prn.dev
	    mv capital Capital

Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output.

Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original  names.   If  the
       file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames.

Bugs
       The short names generated by mkmanifest follow the old convention (from mtools-2.0.7) and not the one from Windows 95 and mtools-3.0.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13							     mkmanifest(1)