Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users pf not working properly even with only "pass in all" and "pass out all" rules Post 45698 by jsilva on Tuesday 30th of December 2003 04:33:06 AM
Old 12-30-2003
Hi,

I don't know if I understood your question...
If your default rule is to block everything, then you have to specify exactly what you want to access ( or what you want to access you ! )... so, if your default rule is to block all, then you have to specify that you want to allow traffic in and out... otherwise, you don't need any of them, all traffic will be allowed...

Let me try to explain the "keep state" and see if it fits on your solution...
You have SSHd ( for example ), running on the server A and you want all clients to be able to use it... you only need to specify one rule, the "in" rule, and the filter will be able to detect that the connection that goes out, belongs to the same connection that was started before... you have to specify on the server that you want to allow port 22 in, keeping state... instead of specifing that you want to allow connection in and out on that port...
If it doesn't look simple, it's because english is not my first language, because it is simple... :-)

Good luck !

Last edited by jsilva; 12-30-2003 at 05:47 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

5. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
YPSERV.CONF(5)							 Reference Manual						    YPSERV.CONF(5)

NAME
ypserv.conf - configuration file for ypserv and rpc.ypxfrd DESCRIPTION
ypserv.conf is an ASCII file which contains some options for ypserv. It also contains a list of rules for special host and map access for ypserv and rpc.ypxfrd. This file will be read by ypserv and rpc.ypxfrd at startup, or when receiving a SIGHUP signal. There is one entry per line. If the line is a option line, the format is: option: <argument> The line for an access rule has the format: host:domain:map:security All rules are tried one by one. If no match is found, access to a map is allowed. Following options exist: files: 30 This option specifies, how many database files should be cached by ypserv. If 0 is specified, caching is disabled. Decreasing this number is only possible, if ypserv is restarted. trusted_master: server When a map is pushed to a slave, the slave normally only accepts updates to existing maps, and then only from the real master. If this option is set on a slave server, new (not yet existing) maps from the host server will be accepted. The default is that no trusted master is set and new maps will not be accepted. Example: trusted_master: ypmaster.example.org slp: [yes|<no>|domain] If this option is enabled and SLP support compiled in, the NIS server registers itself on a SLP server. If the variable is set to domain, an attribute domain with a comma seperated list of supported domainnames is set. Else this attribute will not be set. xfr_check_port: [<yes>|no] With this option enabled, the NIS master server has to run on a priviliged port (< 1024). The default is "yes" (enabled). The field descriptions for the access rule lines are: host IP address. Wildcards are allowed. Examples: 131.234. = 131.234.0.0/255.255.0.0 131.234.214.0/255.255.254.0 domain specifies the domain, for which this rule should be applied. An asterix as wildcard is allowed. map name of the map, or asterisk for all maps. security one of none, port, deny: none always allow access. port allow access if the client request originates from a priviliged port (< 1024). Otherwise do not allow access. deny deny access to this map. You can add /mangle:field to the none or port security keywords. The :field part is optional. It will replace field number field (the default is 2, the password field of the passwd and shadow maps) with the value x for client requests from non-priviliged ports (>= 1024) for the port security keyword and in all cases for the none security keyword. FILES
/etc/ypserv.conf SEE ALSO
ypserv(8), rpc.ypxfrd(8) WARNINGS
The access rules for special maps are no real improvement in security, but they make the life a little bit harder for a potential hacker. BUGS
Solaris clients don't use privileged ports. All security options that depend on privileged ports cause big problems on Solaris clients. AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> YP Server December 2003 YPSERV.CONF(5)