Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to debug a shared library(.so file) on AIX? Post 45614 by AlbertGao on Thursday 25th of December 2003 08:12:27 PM
Old 12-25-2003
How to debug a shared library(.so file) on AIX?

How to debug a shared library(.so file) on AIX?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

2. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

3. Linux

how to backtrace a shared library file (.so)

I have a shared library file (.so) and I need to know some information 1. By which GCC version was this .so built? 2. Was this .so built in 32 bits mode or 64 bits mode Any command / tools to backtrace such kind of information? Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What programs access shared library file

I was curious how to tell which programs are accessing a file (libobjc.A.dylib) in /usr/lib This file seems to be the culprit in a bunch of Safari crashes, and I just wanted to know if and what other programs use it. Also, I was curious what a good way to find out what files are being written... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

6. AIX

Loading a shared library in AIX

Hi, I have an application running on AIX. The app is deployed on Webspshere server. Due to some reason, i have to make use of a third party library (Sigar API's) from my application. This library requires an .so file as well. Is there any location where i can put this *.so file and it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_guest
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Problem in Shared library file .sl on 64bit HP-UX 11.11

We are facing issue with shared library file, we are getting difference in content for same shared file for chatr command :confused: , below are the detail about *.sl file, even we are also getting difference in size of both file. can you please tell me what will be the issue for same. is my new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amodkavi
1 Replies

8. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

9. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies

10. AIX

AIX Cluster Show shared file systems.

Hello, I am working on applications on an AIX 6.1 two-node cluster, with an active and passive node. Is there a command that will show me which mount points / file systems are shared and 'swing' from one node to the other when the active node changes, and which mount points are truly local to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
6 Replies
dwz(1)							      General Commands Manual							    dwz(1)

NAME
dwz - DWARF optimization and duplicate removal tool SYNOPSIS
dwz [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
dwz is a program that attempts to optimize DWARF debugging information contained in ELF shared libraries and ELF executables for size, by replacing DWARF information representation with equivalent smaller representation where possible and by reducing the amount of duplication using techniques from DWARF standard appendix E - creating DW_TAG_partial_unit compilation units (CUs) for duplicated information and using DW_TAG_imported_unit to import it into each CU that needs it. The tool handles DWARF 32-bit format debugging sections of versions 2, 3 and 4 and GNU extensions on top of those, though using DWARF 4 or worst case DWARF 3 is strongly recommended. The tool has two main modes of operation, without the -m option it attempts to optimize DWARF debugging information in each given object (executable or shared library) individually, with the -m option it afterwards attempts to optimize even more by moving DWARF debugging information entries (DIEs), strings and macro descriptions duplicated in more than one object into a newly created ELF ET_REL object whose filename is given as -m option argument. The debug sections in the executables and shared libraries specified on the command line are then modified again, referring to the entities in the newly created object. OPTIONS
-m FILE --multifile FILE Multifile mode. After processing all named executables and shared libraries, attempt to create ELF object FILE and put debugging information duplicated in more than one object there, afterwards optimize each named executable or shared library even further if possible. -h --hardlink Look for executables or shared libraries hardlinked together, instead of rewriting them individually rewrite just one of them and hardlink the rest to the first one again. -M NAME --multifile-name NAME Specify the name of the common file that should be put into the .gnu_debugaltlink section alongside with its build ID. By default dwz puts there the argument of the -m option. -r --relative Specify that the name of the common file to be put into the .gnu_debugaltlink section is supposed to be relative path from the directory containing the executable or shared library to the file named in the argument of the -m option. Either -M or -r option can be specified, but not both. -q --quiet Silence up some of the most common messages. -o FILE --output FILE This option instructs dwz not to overwrite the specified file, but instead store the new content into FILE. Nothing is written if dwz exits with non-zero exit code. Can be used only with a single executable or shared library (if there are no arguments at all, a.out is assumed). -l COUNT --low-mem-die-limit COUNT Handle executables or shared libraries containing more than COUNT debugging information entries in their .debug_info section using a slower and more memory usage friendly mode and don't attempt to optimize that object in multifile mode. The default is 10 million DIEs. There is a risk that for very large amounts of debugging information in a single shared library or executable there might not be enough memory (especially when dwz tool is 32-bit binary, it might run out of available virtual address space even sooner). -L COUNT --max-die-limit COUNT Don't attempt to optimize executables or shared libraries containing more than COUNT DIEs at all. The default is 50 million DIEs. -? --help Print short help and exit. ARGUMENTS
Command-line arguments should be the executables, shared libraries or their stripped to file separate debug information objects. EXAMPLES
$ dwz -m .dwz/foobar-1.2.debug -rh bin/foo.debug bin/foo2.debug foo/lib/libbar.so.debug will attempt to optimize debugging information in bin/foo.debug, bin/foo2.debug and lib/libbar.so.debug (by modifying the files in place) and when beneficial also will create .dwz/foobar-1.2.debug file. .gnu_debugaltlink section in the first two files will refer to ../.dwz/foobar-1.2.debug and in the last file to ../../.dwz/foobar-1.2.debug. If e.g. bin/foo.debug and bin/foo2.debug were hardlinked together initially, they will be hardlinked again and for multifile optimizations considered just as a single file rather than two. $ dwz -o foo.dwz foo will not modify foo but instead store the ELF object with optimized debugging information if successful into foo.dwz file it creates. $ dwz *.debug foo/*.debug will attempt to optimize debugging information in *.debug and foo/*.debug files, optimizing each file individually in place. $ dwz is equivalent to dwz a.out command. SEE ALSO
http://dwarfstd.org/doc/DWARF4.pdf , gdb(1). AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 15 June 2012 dwz(1)