Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Good unix "for lamers/beginners" book? Post 45369 by cbkihong on Thursday 18th of December 2003 09:40:41 PM
Old 12-18-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelam_Magnus

I have that "Unix System Administration Handbook" (the RED book) by Nemeth/Snyder/Seebass/Hein. 2nd ed. but there is a 3rd ed. out a few years ago.
I have the 3rd Edition. I know the 2nd Edition covered 6 Unix variants. Which are they? In the 3rd Edition there are only 4: RHL, FreeBSD, Solaris and HP-UX. I'm curious to know as it's no longer mentioned in the 3rd edition.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

5. Programming

Can u tell me an good e-book to learn "C"

Actually I know bit of C++ and Java & C# for a extend. But when I have tried to go through some online exams of C++, I have found out that there's a lot for me to learn in C++ also. And as I Believe, most of the things are the once that C++, got from C. Actually I'm good with those OOP concepts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nohim Ys
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
FBREADER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       FBREADER(1)

NAME
FBReader - e-book reader SYNOPSIS
FBReader [-zlui ui-type] [ui-specific options] [-lang language] [e-book] DESCRIPTION
FBReader is an e-book reader. It supports most open e-book formats, and can read compressed e-book archives. For more information on using the program, see the "About FBReader" button on its toolbar. OPTIONS
-zlui ui-type Try to start FBReader with the specified uu type. Supported ui types are gtk (to use Gtk+ library), qt (Qt 3 library) and qt4 (Qt 4 library). ui-specific options Standard options from the UI library you use (Gtk+, Qt3 or Qt4). -lang language Language for user interface. Current version (0.12.0) of fbreader supports Arabic (specify -lang ar option), Chinese (-lang zh), Czech (-lang cs), Dutch (-lang nl), English (-lang en), Finnish (-lang fi), French (-lang fr), German (-lang de), Hungarian (-lang hu), Indonesian (-lang id), Italian (-lang it), Lithuanian (-lang lt), Russian (-lang ru), Spanish (-lang es) and Swedish (-lang sv) and Ukrainian (-lang uk). e-book Name of file to open. If this parameter is missing or if FBReader cannot open the specified file, the last opened file will be reopened. If you start FBReader for the first time or the last opened file is missing, "About FBReader" text will be opened. AUTHOR
This man page was written by Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> and Nikolay Pultsin <geometer@fbreader.org> for the Debian system, but may be freely reused on other systems. FBREADER(1)