Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opinion
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Opinion Post 45364 by Optimus_P on Thursday 18th of December 2003 04:34:56 PM
Old 12-18-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by HN19
...since I am new, I am a little afraid that others may laugh at my ignorance...

.. but sometimes I don't even know where to start.
you made 2 good points here.

to address those 2 issues:

when learning anything new i think alot of people feel the same way. a bit timid. the best way to ensure you are asking a good question is to do the following:

1) search the site for related topics to your question. (read them and try to follow along)
2) search google groups or other usenet sites. (this helps you get a broad answer and more times then not you will find an answer)
3) lastly if you cant find any info about your topic or are haveing trouble w/ a piece of info. post it up but try to be as specific as possable.

4) this is a bonus but goto your local book store and grab a book and a coffee and read through a section or two adn see if you cant find a helpful solution to your issue. (alot of people use a book store as a library. kinda a bonus if yo have a good bookstore close by)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need your help and opinion

Hey all, I'm brand new to Unix/Linux and have a couple of questions. I own a small education/consulting company that has a staff of approx. 50 employees. Most our work is geared towards the office-style environment (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). There are also some C and Java programmers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennie1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Your Opinion requested

Ladies/Gentlemen, I am looking for a web-based tool to keep track of my Sun inventory. The following list of fields are fields I would like to store: Root Passwd (needs to be secure) / Hostid / Console Port / IP Address / Platform / Application / Hostname . . . you get the point. Do any of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

second opinion on sed script

i'm trying to figure out a script that uses sed, and i'm not totally sure if it does what I think it does. The script... - takes in 3 inputs, $1, $2 are names. $3 is a file. - filename is a file. Here is what I'm trying to figure out: cat $3 | grep "id17" > var2 sed "s|@@.*||g" var2 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert Opinion

This perhaps does not belong in ths category; apologies, however, we have a heated debate going and your input will decide the result. Should UNIX (HP, AIX, etc) be rebooted following a monthly cycle (Every month, or a qtr, etc.). We have some UX admins (grumps) who say they have seen a UX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert opinion on iptables/torrents

Hello all, I want to deny any torrents passing thru linux box that are NOT encrypted. My ISP is doing packet inspection and gives warnings. I'd like to allow torrents when client sets encryption. Any thoughts? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkman_hr
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opinion on an easy shell script (mv)

:wall:I've this simple code: STF=/opt/aaa cat $STF | nice sort -u > $STF.new && mv $STF.new $STF Which works until today. What happened is that this script has been corrupted the FS, so I've to use fschk to repair the filesystem. I presume the move command executed just a little too early... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: accolito
1 Replies

10. AIX

[Opinion] A Public Answer To Rob McNelly

Why Do We Need Root on the HMC? In this article in IBMSystems Magazine Rob McNelly asked the question Why Don't We Have Root on the HMC? and he goes on to justify why we indeed shouldn't have root - kinda. I think his arguments are not as valid as he perhaps thinks they are and what's more... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
11 Replies
FBREADER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       FBREADER(1)

NAME
FBReader - e-book reader SYNOPSIS
FBReader [-zlui ui-type] [ui-specific options] [-lang language] [e-book] DESCRIPTION
FBReader is an e-book reader. It supports most open e-book formats, and can read compressed e-book archives. For more information on using the program, see the "About FBReader" button on its toolbar. OPTIONS
-zlui ui-type Try to start FBReader with the specified uu type. Supported ui types are gtk (to use Gtk+ library), qt (Qt 3 library) and qt4 (Qt 4 library). ui-specific options Standard options from the UI library you use (Gtk+, Qt3 or Qt4). -lang language Language for user interface. Current version (0.12.0) of fbreader supports Arabic (specify -lang ar option), Chinese (-lang zh), Czech (-lang cs), Dutch (-lang nl), English (-lang en), Finnish (-lang fi), French (-lang fr), German (-lang de), Hungarian (-lang hu), Indonesian (-lang id), Italian (-lang it), Lithuanian (-lang lt), Russian (-lang ru), Spanish (-lang es) and Swedish (-lang sv) and Ukrainian (-lang uk). e-book Name of file to open. If this parameter is missing or if FBReader cannot open the specified file, the last opened file will be reopened. If you start FBReader for the first time or the last opened file is missing, "About FBReader" text will be opened. AUTHOR
This man page was written by Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> and Nikolay Pultsin <geometer@fbreader.org> for the Debian system, but may be freely reused on other systems. FBREADER(1)