Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to use Kill cmd when detect rogue Post 45313 by agui on Thursday 18th of December 2003 12:17:42 AM
Old 12-18-2003
Data How to use Kill cmd when detect rogue

I'm system administrator and most of our Unix servers in the company host database that are accessed frequently by company employees. One day, one particular Unix server has been reported as being very slow. Upon further investigation using the ps command, we've found a rogue process that is wasting a great deal of system resources. Unfortunately, the rogue process is a database maintenance program and should be kiilled with caution.

1) Which kill signal would you send this process and why ?

2) If the rogue process traps this signals, which other kill signals would you try ?

3) Which command could you use as a last resort to kill the rogue process ?

Very much appreciate if you could extend some help as we're not very handy with Unix.

Cheers

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rogue PPC RPm

Hello, i need to Rogue RPm for PPC, anybody knows where i can get it? Thanks. i am new to Unix, thats why ia m postin here. Thank you! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ro'Taygahn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any cmd to kill a process including its childs ( or sub processes spawned by

Dear Unix Gurus, Here is my query. If i start a script,it inturn calls many other scripts ..and most of them continue to run in parallel. Suppose,if i want to stop my script for some reason,i need to kill -9 each of the processes running.It becomes clumsy if the sub processes r more. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
15 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill/pkill process by CMD info.

I have a process that I'd like to kill. Doing a "ps -fu myusername" gives me: UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD myusername 5443 1 0 10:05 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /some/path/crap.sh -s /yet/another/path/parentProcess myusername 5593 5443 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding a rogue process

Afternoon all, hopefully someone can give me a hand with this (the following may be explained very poorly :rolleyes: ) I know there's a process running on one of our Solaris 10 boxes that runs approximately every 5 minutes. Unfortunately I've no idea, who owns it, what it is called, or how it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

7. Programming

Porting Rogue Wave to Linux

I am challenged with porting an old application from Solaris to Red Hat. The application uses Rogue Wave and I am searching for a Red Hat implementation. Your help is appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FunkyWinkerbean
2 Replies
Authen::Simple::POP3(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Authen::Simple::POP3(3pm)

NAME
Authen::Simple::POP3 - Simple POP3 authentication SYNOPSIS
use Authen::Simple::POP3; my $pop3 = Authen::Simple::POP3->new( host => 'pop3.company.com' ); if ( $pop3->authenticate( $username, $password ) ) { # successfull authentication } # or as a mod_perl Authen handler PerlModule Authen::Simple::Apache PerlModule Authen::Simple::POP3 PerlSetVar AuthenSimplePOP3_host "pop3.company.com" <Location /protected> PerlAuthenHandler Authen::Simple::POP3 AuthType Basic AuthName "Protected Area" Require valid-user </Location> DESCRIPTION
Authenticate against a POP3 service. METHODS
* new This method takes a hash of parameters. The following options are valid: * host Connection host, can be a hostname or IP number. Defaults to "localhost". host => 'ftp.company.com' host => '10.0.0.1' * port Connection port, defaults to 110. port => 110 * timeout Connection timeout, defaults to 60. timeout => 60 * method Authentication method, defaults to "plain". Valid options are "apop", "plain", "sasl". method => 'plain' * log Any object that supports "debug", "info", "error" and "warn". log => Log::Log4perl->get_logger('Authen::Simple::POP3') * authenticate( $username, $password ) Returns true on success and false on failure. SEE ALSO
Authen::Simple. Net::POP3. AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "ch@ngmedia.com" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-01 Authen::Simple::POP3(3pm)