Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script with arguments
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script with arguments Post 45308 by norsk hedensk on Wednesday 17th of December 2003 10:10:49 PM
Old 12-17-2003
as you can see, the -s option gets a hostname from the command line. so the user would run the program like this:
./serverstatus -s hostname

then that information is parsed and, (in my example) nmap is run on that host and the output of that scan is stored in a variable.

each next command line option invokes a number of different functions which accomplish different tasks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a limit to the no. of arguments to a shell script ?

What is the maximum no. of arguments that could be passed to a shell script ? Is there any restriction ? I've a requirement where I need to pass a list of names to a unix script and I guess the number of such names is not a fixed one. It can run into hundreds. Is this feasible ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hidnana
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to pass arguments to shell script

Hi, I have a shell script called ftp.sh which is running continously in background. I tried passing arguments to this script but it did not worked out. Below is ftp.sh script. Please help me case $param in start) sleep_func "300" echo "!ksh $scr_ddir/ftp.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

no of arguments to function in shell script

Hi, I have a function in shell script fun1{ echo "No.of arguments are..."} this function will be called in same script by passing arguments fun 1 2 3 I want to check the no. of arguments passed to fun1 function in the same functionbefore validation. can any one suggest me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make shell script arguments optional?

Here is my script: #!/bin/ksh usage () { echo " Usage: $0 <opt1> <opt2> <opt3> <opt4>" } if ; then usage exit; fi prog -a $1 -b $2 -c $3 -d $4 2>&1 | tee -a ~/$1.log I want argument 4 to be optional, so if there's no argument for opt4, that it doesn't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arguments in Shell script

Hello, I have to make a shell script doing that : the program tests if there is an argument, if there is it checks whether this is a directory or not, If it is it opens it. for any .c file in the directory it prints 2 lines in the screen : the dependence line of the .o and compiler commend... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dekl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sub arguments to shell script

Hi, I have a shell script, when run it i get a prompt to enter arguments say 1 for doing my next task otherwise q for quit. What I am trying to do is run the shell script with the argument passed in however it does not seem to work. This is what I did ./test.sh 1 Instead it printed the line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aqua9
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To run a local shell script in a remote machine by passing arguments to the local shell script

I need to run a local shell script on a remote machine. I am able to achieve that by executing the command > ssh -qtt user@host < test.sh However, when I try to pass arguments to test.sh it fails. Any pointers would be appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can multiple arguments be passed to shell script?

My requirement is that I want to pass similar argument to a shell script and process it in the script. Something like below: myScript.sh -c COMPONENT1 -c COMPONENT2 -a APPNote: -c option can be specified multiple times and -a is optional parameter I know this can be achieved using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajdeep_paul
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass Arguments to Command from Shell Script

Hi all, I am working on a project, in which I have to connect to Bluetooth low energy device. I am able to connect and do data transfer from command line. But I want to do from script Here is my script #!/bin/bash #sudo hcitool -i hci0 lescan sleep 1 sudo hcitool -i hci0 lecc --random... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin@embdes
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

The shell script doesn't get arguments, but parse them

Hello, I have a simple shell script, which starts from crontab like this: 00 03 * * 2-6 /export/applications/dte/sh/fwmarg.sh > /export/applications/dte/data/cron_log/fwmarg.cronlog.`date +\%m.\%d` 2>&1 The script doesn't get any argument. But inside it I see the line ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
10 Replies
ZENMAP(1)						      Zenmap Reference Guide							 ZENMAP(1)

NAME
zenmap - Graphical Nmap frontend and results viewer SYNOPSIS
zenmap [options] [results file] DESCRIPTION
Zenmap is a multi-platform graphical Nmap frontend and results viewer. Zenmap aims to make Nmap easy for beginners to use while giving experienced Nmap users advanced features. Frequently used scans can be saved as profiles to make them easy to run repeatedly. A command creator allows interactive creation of Nmap command lines. Scan results can be saved and viewed later. Saved scan results can be compared with one another to see how they differ. The results of recent scans are stored in a searchable database. This man page only describes the few Zenmap command-line options and some critical notes. A much more detailed Zenmap User's Guide is available at http://nmap.org/book/zenmap.html. Other documentation and information is available from the Zenmap web page at http://nmap.org/zenmap/. OPTIONS SUMMARY
-f, --file results file Open the given results file for viewing. The results file may be an Nmap XML output file (.xml, as produced by nmap -oX) or a Umit scan results file (.usr). This option may be given more than once. -h, --help Show a help message and exit. -n, --nmap Nmap command line Run the given Nmap command within the Zenmap interface. After -n or --nmap, every remaining command line argument is read as the command line to execute. This means that -n or --nmap must be given last, after any other options. Note that the command line must include the nmap executable name: zenmap -n nmap -sS target. -p, --profile profile Start with the given profile selected. The profile name is just a string: "Regular scan". If combined with -t, begin a scan with the given profile against the specified target. -t, --target target Start with the given target. If combined with -p, begin a scan with the given profile against the specified target. -v, --verbose Increase verbosity (of Zenmap, not Nmap). This option may be given multiple times to get even more verbosity. Any other arguments are taken to be the names of results files to open. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
ZENMAP_DEVELOPMENT Set ZENMAP_DEVELOPMENT to disable automatic crash reporting. BUGS
Like their authors, Nmap and Zenmap aren't perfect. But you can help make them better by sending bug reports or even writing patches. If Nmap or Zenmap doesn't behave the way you expect, first upgrade to the latest version available from http://nmap.org. If the problem persists, do some research to determine whether it has already been discovered and addressed. Try Googling the error message or browsing the nmap-dev archives at http://seclists.org/. Read this full manual page as well. If nothing comes of this, mail a bug report to <dev@nmap.org>. Please include everything you have learned about the problem, as well as what version of Zenmap you are running and what operating system version it is running on. Problem reports and Zenmap usage questions sent to dev@nmap.org are far more likely to be answered than those sent to Fyodor directly. Code patches to fix bugs are even better than bug reports. Basic instructions for creating patch files with your changes are available at https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/HACKING. Patches may be sent to nmap-dev (recommended) or to Fyodor directly. HISTORY
Zenmap was originally derived from Umit, an Nmap GUI created during the Google-sponsored Nmap Summer of Code in 2005 and 2006. The primary author of Umit was Adriano Monteiro Marques. When Umit was modified and integrated into Nmap in 2007, it was renamed Zenmap. AUTHORS
Nmap Fyodor <fyodor@nmap.org> (http://insecure.org) Hundreds of people have made valuable contributions to Nmap over the years. These are detailed in the CHANGELOG file which is distributed with Nmap and also available from http://nmap.org/changelog.html. Umit Zenmap is derived from the Umit Nmap frontend, which was started by Adriano Monteiro Marques as an Nmap/Google Summer of Code project (<py.adriano@gmail.com>, http://www.umitproject.org). Zenmap 07/28/2013 ZENMAP(1)