Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number of specific char in a string. Post 45303 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 17th of December 2003 08:09:54 PM
Old 12-17-2003
As far as I am aware the gsub trick only works with gawk.
The AT&T version (awk/nawk) does not return the number
of substitutions. Nor is this required by POSIX or Single
UNIX Specifications.

Another way of achieving the required result is:

echo $VAR | tr -c -d '.' | wc -c

- Finnbarr

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

last char from a string

i have a script that reads a plain text file. (its a ksh, and i can use bash also) each line of the file is a fullpath of a file. that makes the list huge. i need to add a functionalitie to that script, i have to be able to add /usr/* or /usr/ and with that reference all the files and folders... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get number char from a string

for example: i hav a string like : /rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log how I can extract my_num=72736? I know I can echo "/rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log" | tr "/" " " | awk '{ print $4 }' to get rmsprdarch72736.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find number of char occur

To find out number of "|" symbol is available in file: Input: a|b|c|d|z Ouput: 4 I am using below set of commands,It is working... Anybody have anyother solution using sed / awk. cnt=`wc -c <1.txt` cnt1=`tr -d "|" <1.txt >c.dat` cnt2=`wc -c <c.dat` outp=`expr $cnt... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove only specific char on every line when exists

Hi I need to remove "|" char when it's the last char of the line. Input file: generoso|desprendido|altruista| abnegar|ceder|sacrificar| abocetado-da|esbozado| apuntado|insinuado|incompleto abocetar|esbozar|bosquejar| diseņar|delinear ------------------------ output need --- ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookoo
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count number of char?

hello how can i cont number of char with loop coomand? i dont want to use wc or other special command the script should check all word's char. one by one also a counter can handle the number As noted in other threads started today. This is not the correct forum for homework assignments. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove char if not a number

I need to write a BASH script that takes a 2 character string and removes the second character if it is not a digit e.g. If the string is numberical value >9 e.g. string1 = '34' then leave string1 = '34'. However if the string is <10 e.g. string1 = '3X' then remove the second char (which... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)