Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I integrate workstation and server passwords Post 4519 by dporter on Wednesday 25th of July 2001 01:55:12 PM
Old 07-25-2001
Question How do I integrate workstation and server passwords

I recently started supporting a CAD group at my work.
The users want one user name and password regardless of what workstation they work on. They have 4 Solaris, 2 Irixs, and 1 Ultrix workstation and 1 Linux server.

How do I set up a relationship between the WS and the server so they can sign onto any WS with the same username and password?

Thanks,

David

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Benchmarks

Server and Workstation benchmarking

This is from my server AMD K6 133MHz 64Mb RAM 4GB HDD (Maxtor - ATA33) 2x10Mb NIC 1Mb Intel Graphic Card BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- FreeBSD sergiu.tarnita.net 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #2: Thu Mar 17 15:49:16 EET 2005... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
0 Replies

2. Solaris

how do I make my workstation an installation server for a remote server?.

Is there a way I can make my Sun workstation as a installation server for a remote server?. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calsum
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

pass an xpdf display from red hat server to windows ssh workstation

I have a UniVerse database running on a Red Hat EL3 server. If I am on the server console my software can call xpdf giving the name of a target file and it displays very nicely on the console. I have not been able to figure out how to get the display to happen on any of the Windows XP workstations.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dale kelley
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

5. Solaris

How to integrate SVN client to SVN server repository.

Hi, I am new to SVN configuration on Solaris 10.I have installed SVN client version 1.7. bash-3.00# ./svn --version svn, version 1.7.4 (r1295709) compiled Mar 2 2012, 12:59:36 Here my requirement is how to integrate svn client to One of the SVN server repository. My repository... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 7.1 integrate AD with winbind

I have joined an AIX 7.1 into a 2012 AD domain sucesfully. I can get ouput from wbinfo -u but when I try to access a share I get the following error : check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user -> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER I have found that I'm missing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxtnog
0 Replies
HESINFO(1)						      General Commands Manual							HESINFO(1)

NAME
hesinfo - find out what is stored in the Hesiod database SYNOPSIS
hesinfo [-bl] HesiodName HesiodNameType DESCRIPTION
hesinfo takes two arguments, a name to be resolved and a string, known as a HesiodNameType. It then prints the information returned by the Hesiod nameserver. The value returned by hesinfo is of the type HesiodNameType. hesinfo understands the following options: -l Selects long format. -b Prints the fully-qualified string passed to the nameserver. VALID Hesiod_Names The following types of identifiers may be used in the HesiodName argument to hesinfo. These values will be resolved by accessing the hes- iod database. <username> the 8-character-or-less string used to identify users or classes (e.g. joeuser, root, 1.00, etc). Used with the Hesiod_Name_Types passwd, pobox, and filsys. <uid> the id number assigned to a user. <groupid> the id number assigned to a group. <groupname> a name identifying a unique group. <file-system-name> the name of an athena file system. <rvd server>:<pack> the name of an rvd's server and pack seperated by a colon. <nfs server>:<partition> the name of an nfs server and its partition seperated by a colon. <workstation-name> the machine name of an Athena workstation (e.g. E40-343-3). <service-name> name of an Athena service (e.g. Zephyr). <service-type> name of Unix service (valid entries are defined in /etc/services). <printer-name> name of a printer. <printer-cluster-name> name of an Athena print cluster. <foo> some hesinfo calls (e.g. prclusterlist ) do not require a specific HesiodName argument. However, you must include a dummy string (e.g. 'foo') for hesinfo to work properly. VALID Hesiod_Name_Types The following symbols are valid substitutions for the HesiodNameType argument to hesinfo. passwd returns string suitable for inclusion in /etc/passwd, searching with <username>. pobox returns information on the pobox assigned to the user specified by HesiodName, searching with <username>. uid returns string suitable for inclusion in /etc/passwd, searching with <uid>. gid returns string suitable for inclusion in /etc/group, searching with <groupid>. group returns string suitable for inclusion in /etc/group, searching with <groupname>. grplist returns subgroups included in superset defined by <groupname>. filsys returns file system type, export point, server, mount mode, and import point for the following valid HesiodNames (see above) - <file system name>, <username>, <rvd server>:<pack>, and <nfs server>:<partition> cluster returns information about the local cluster the workstation, specified by <workstation name>. Included is information about the local file and print servers. This information is accesses by clusterinfo at boot time. sloc returns network name of service host for <service-name>. service returns Internet protocol type and protocol service port for <service-type>. pcap returns a valid entry for /etc/printcap for <printer-name>. prcluserlist returns a list of print clusters. prcluster returns a list of printers in a cluster specified by <printer-cluster-name>. FILES
/etc/athena/hesiod.conf SEE ALSO
`Hesiod - Project Athena Technical Plan -- Name Service', named(8), hesiod(3) AUTHOR
Steve Dyer, IBM/Project Athena Copyright 1987, 1988, 1996 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 27 October 1996 HESINFO(1)