Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Terminal Commands
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Terminal Commands Post 45096 by indigoecho on Monday 15th of December 2003 07:12:07 AM
Old 12-15-2003
Terminal Commands

Hi there. Linux newbie and I'm trying to find commands to:

Display number of executable files in a directory that i supply and list them in alphabetical order

Back up all the files in the current irectory to a directory i supply, creating that directory if it's not allready there

Cound number of occurances of a file name that i provide in the file system.

Any help would be really appreciated!
Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying a dialog box using terminal commands

Hello, I used the command osascript -e 'tell app "Finder" to display dialog "Hey!"' to display a dialog box..it works fine, it displays a dialog box with 'OK' and 'CANCEL' buttons..i want to get the button returned value how can i do that using terminal command? is there any command to get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keshav.murthy@r
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

How do i find all the commands entered by root on any terminal

Can any one help me with a script, which runs in background and mails me all the commands entered by root on any terminal for every hour. We have multiple people having root access on the server and creating a mess,i just wanted to monitor all the activity of the root. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu787
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

commands in the terminal

hi.. I have a small question...if I have a textfile..let say apple.txt and I want to 1. search for all strings that's 6 characters long, and contains the letters a,b,c,d. 2. search for all words that that begins with "sUn" and ends with "flower" 3. search for all the words beginning with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oregano
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with simple terminal commands

i am at home with a windows xp home, and i am using putty terminal to access my linux mathlab account, my task is to compile and run a C program, called a.c, i used gcc -Wall -g -o mycode a.c to compile it into a mycode file now when i want to run it, i was told i had to use $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

help with some basic osx terminal commands. fixing permissions on NAS share

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm computer literate but by no means an expert! I'm simply trying to recover data from my DLink DNS343 NAS mounted on my X86 iMac using SMB. Somehow, in moving to a new computer, I have lost access to some files on the NAS. Just some files are access denied. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quantaa
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replicate history commands in multiple terminal

Hi, I am using putty client to connect to my remote Linux server box, and I am connecting through ssh. That system runs bash shell. So, if I use multiple putty terminal, how can I replicate those commands that I ran in other terminals to be available/shared in the current terminal window (i.e)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Terminal autorunning commands at start

How do I make terminal autorun commands at start up? For example, I have several windows of terminal, I want one to automatically run 'top' and a couple others autorun 'man' pages. Is there any way I can do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: randomtypos
1 Replies

8. Programming

C terminal commands

Hi I am trying to modify a C program to work for my needs. Problem is I don't know any real programming. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me! Basically it is to get bandwidth speeds from a remote box. I have two terminal commands that get me the up and down speeds. So how do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: milestails
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to save and execute terminal commands in shell?

I frequently use some commands, which I want to save in some file say myregularshell.shthese are the commands I use, I tried saving and executing, but couldn't get the preview of execution, and result is also not coming if I copy same commands and paste it on terminal result is coming cd go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Creating terminal commands

I've written a program in C, called count_0.1 which is essentially a word count program. I want to be able to use it as a command in the terminal (by typing in count), like when you type in ls, you don't have to go to a directory, find an executable and type in: ./ls I've tried: Adding... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: usernamer
1 Replies
LINUX(4)                                                   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                   LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD February 8, 2010 BSD