Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Capture carriage return.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture carriage return. Post 45090 by gio123bg on Monday 15th of December 2003 05:51:36 AM
Old 12-15-2003
Network Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable.
$ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length.

Any help will be well appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Giovanni

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

carriage return/line feeds

Hello, I have a file that has got carriage returns in it and I want to take them out. Anyone know how I can do this in a ksh? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitstop
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want carriage return

I have observed with print & echo, they produce carriage return <CR> or newline, after they display string next to them. Is there anyway to avoide these <CR> after the intended string is displayed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 carriage return within a record

Hi all, need your help in replacing carriage return in a record. Input: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10 1|aa|bb|cc|dd|eee eee|ff|ggggg|hh hhh|iii 2|zz|yy|xx|ww|vv|uu|tt|ss|rr Output: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search_Replace with a Carriage Return

Hey folks, I've been working on this for some time. Seems simple, but I'm stumped. I need the following data format: New_York:Commercial Geology Geophysics Petrophysics Production_Engineering Reservoir_Engineering Pasadena:Commercial ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return ksh

Hello, How do i usecarriage return in ksh. I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen. I tried: until ; do echo "bla bla \r" done please advice. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Carriage Return using SED

I am hoping someone can help me with a solution to this problem using SED. My issue is actually two-fold. First, I have an order file that is sent to us from another system, however, there has been a change in current processes that requires a carriage return added to the end of each order. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chino_1
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute \n with carriage return

Hello all, I've a flat file in the following format: AB\001\CDED\001\ABC\001\nEG\001\HIJF\001\EFG\001\nHI\003\HIUL\003\HIJ\003 And I want to substitute \n with the carriage return. Any help is appreciated! Regards, - Seth (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies
UNSET(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							  UNSET(P)

NAME
unset - unset values and attributes of variables and functions SYNOPSIS
unset [-fv] name ... DESCRIPTION
Each variable or function specified by name shall be unset. If -v is specified, name refers to a variable name and the shell shall unset it and remove it from the environment. Read-only variables cannot be unset. If -f is specified, name refers to a function and the shell shall unset the function definition. If neither -f nor -v is specified, name refers to a variable; if a variable by that name does not exist, it is unspecified whether a func- tion by that name, if any, shall be unset. Unsetting a variable or function that was not previously set shall not be considered an error and does not cause the shell to abort. The unset special built-in shall support the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 12.2, Utility Syntax Guidelines. Note that: VARIABLE= is not equivalent to an unset of VARIABLE; in the example, VARIABLE is set to "" . Also, the variables that can be unset should not be mis- interpreted to include the special parameters (see Special Parameters ). OPTIONS
See the DESCRIPTION. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
0 All name operands were successfully unset. >0 At least one name could not be unset. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Unset VISUAL variable: unset -v VISUAL Unset the functions foo and bar: unset -f foo bar RATIONALE
Consideration was given to omitting the -f option in favor of an unfunction utility, but the standard developers decided to retain histori- cal practice. The -v option was introduced because System V historically used one name space for both variables and functions. When unset is used without options, System V historically unset either a function or a variable, and there was no confusion about which one was intended. A portable POSIX application can use unset without an option to unset a variable, but not a function; the -f option must be used. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 UNSET(P)