Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ports
Special Forums IP Networking Ports Post 45014 by norsk hedensk on Saturday 13th of December 2003 04:24:20 PM
Old 12-13-2003
/etc/services

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ports

how can i check to see if my mail ports are open (port 110 for incoming and 25 for outgoing)? I want to do this because i am having a problem sending email out. If one of the ports has a problem, how can i open it? Thanks in advance! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports

How To Close ports,for example finger port 79?? :confused: :confused: :confused: 10x (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yaki
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports

I know i can look in the /etc/services file to look at referenced port numbers, but is there a command that will list the current ports being used? (i.e. what is the application does not have an entry in the services files :confused: ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralf
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

ports???

Ok, I've been working in the IT field for about 3 years now and I never fully understood the concept of ip ports. I just started a new job that uses Solaris and today it kinda clicked in my head and I want to know if I'm right or wrong. Does each ip address have multiple ports. because we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports...

Hello UNIX people... This is my first foray into the UNIX world so go easy on me... I have a client who has hired me to do some work on his windows stuff, BUT it just so happens his UNIX server started giving him problems... He is running SCO Open Server 5.0.6 The TTY ports won't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechKnow
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Ports

Can any one tell the command for which process are running on a perticular port (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zsujith
1 Replies

7. Solaris

regarding ports

Hi , I need one help... Is there any command on solaris 10 to free the ports. For e.g I used netstat -na| grep 8080 it displays either it is listening or established.. i want to free the ports... Anyone please help me on this... Thanks, Shanmuga (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanshine
2 Replies

8. Solaris

ports

Hi, If for example i try to start tomcat in a solaris server and get errors related to address already in use, how can I know if this port is really used for another process? If someone can point any documentation it will be very helpfull. Thanks! :rolleyes: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffpradella
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ports

When the netstat -an command is run on current unix machine, it seems that there's an excessive amount of ports established (roughly 600). How can I tell what each of these ports are being used for? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastchance551
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ports

** forum admins: Before you come down on my like a wrath of something, I can get no decent answers so I have to come to these Gurus' court *** I am by no means Unix expert. However, none of our unix admin (aix & hpux) can give me an answer that makes sense. My Issue: Assigned ports in 8601,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
7 Replies
STAPVIRT(1)						      General Commands Manual						       STAPVIRT(1)

NAME
stapvirt - prepare libvirt domains for systemtap probing SYNOPSIS
stapvirt [-c URI] [-d PATH] [-v] COMMAND ARGUMENTS DESCRIPTION
The stapvirt program can be used to add ports to domains managed by libvirt (see <http://libvirt.org/>). These ports can then be used by stap to run scripts inside the domains (see the '--remote' option in stap(1) for more information). Starting from libvirt v1.1.1 and QEMU v0.10.0, SystemTap ports can be hotplugged and thus domains do not require any preparation using stapvirt. The 'query' command can be used to determine whether hotplugging is supported. If hotplugging is not supported, then ports must be added to the definition of the domain using the 'port-add' command. These ports can later be removed using the 'port-remove' command. Note that there can only be as many simultaneous stap sessions as there are ports. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. Any other option prints a short help message. -c URI Specify the libvirt driver URI to which to connect (e.g. 'qemu:///system'). The default value is NULL, which indicates to libvirt to connect to the default driver. See the page at <http://libvirt.org/uri.html> for supported values. -d PATH Specify the directory in which UNIX sockets should be created when SystemTap ports are added. The default directory is '/var/lib/libvirt/qemu'. -v Increase verbosity. This option may be repeated for more verbosity. COMMANDS
The following commands are recognized by stapvirt. Any other command prints a short help message. help Display the help message. list List available domains. port-add DOMAIN Add a permanent SystemTap port to the domain's definition. If the domain is currently running, it must be restarted before changes take effect. port-list DOMAIN List the UNIX socket paths of the permanent SystemTap ports in the domain's definition. port-remove DOMAIN Remove a permanent SystemTap port from the domain's definition. If the domain is currently running, it must be restarted before changes take effect. query DOMAIN Display the following information about the domain: its name, its UUID, its state, the number of permanent SystemTap ports in- stalled, and whether hotplugging is supported. TUTORIAL
This tutorial will help you get started with stapvirt. Let's start by listing all the privileged domains on the machine with the list com- mand: $ stapvirt -c 'qemu:///system' list Available domains on URI 'qemu:///system': ID State Type Name 2 running persistent TestVM Note that we specified the libvirt URI using the -c switch. Otherwise libvirt might have defaulted to e.g. 'qemu:///session'. Rather than typing the URI everytime, it might be easier to instead set the LIBVIRT_DEFAULT_URI environment variable and omit the -c switch. Note that this is a libvirt functionality (see <libvirt.org/uri.html> for more details). The list command indicates that we have a running domain named 'TestVM' with ID 2. Let's use the query command to retrieve more informa- tion: $ stapvirt query TestVM # by name $ stapvirt query 2 # by ID Name: TestVM UUID: 905951c0-fa4f-409b-079c-c91ddda27028 State: running ID: 2 Type: persistent Permanent Ports: 0 Hotplugging: not supported The query command gives us some basic information about the domain, such as its name, UUID, and state. More importantly, it gives us two pieces of information: the number of permanent ports installed, and whether hotplugging is supported. Technically, hotplugging support de- pends on libvirt and qemu, and is not related to the domain in itself. If hotplugging were supported, we could stop here and run stap directly. Since in our case hotplugging is not supported, we need to add SystemTap ports. To do this, we use the port-add command: $ stapvirt port-add TestVM Added new port org.systemtap.stapsh.0 The domain must be restarted before changes take effect. We can confirm that a port was added by running the query command again: $ stapvirt query TestVM ... Permanent Ports: 1 Hotplugging: not supported It now indicates that there is 1 permanent port. We can also use the port-list command to know exactly where the port will be created: $ stapvirt port-list TestVM /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/TestVM.org.systemtap.stapsh.0.sock After stopping and restarting the domain, we are now ready to use the port with stap: $ stap -e 'probe begin { printf("Hello from TestVM! "); exit() }' --remote=libvirt://TestVM Hello from TestVM! Finally, if we'd like to remove the port, we can use the port-remove command: $ stapvirt port-remove TestVM Removed port org.systemtap.stapsh.0 The domain must be restarted before changes take effect. And that's all there is to it! SEE ALSO
stap(1) BUGS
Use the Bugzilla link of the project web page or our mailing list. http://sourceware.org/systemtap/,<systemtap@sourceware.org>. STAPVIRT(1)