Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users The server does not shoutdown Post 44949 by Perderabo on Friday 12th of December 2003 11:55:16 AM
Old 12-12-2003
Did this ever work? When did it stop working? What is the date on /etc/inittab? What lines do you get from the command:
grep ":0:" /etc/inittab

Also you seem to be able to run commands when it blocks. Run "ps -ef" and "who -r" and post the results of both commands.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NFS write failed for server.....error 11 (RPC: Server can't decode arguments)

Hello! I have a Linux nfs server (called server100 below) with a export nfs. My problem is that the Solaris client (called client100 below) doesn't seems to like it. In the Solaris syslog I got following messages (and after a while the solaris client behave liked its hanged/to buzy). Also see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sap4ever
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

when users ftp to server the timezone reflected is UTC but the server is set to TZ in localtime

Guys, Need your help coz my server runs in local time GMT +8, but when client use ftp and login, the resulting timestamp seen in each file is in UTC format. We need to set that the time should be the same as GMT +8 when in ftp session. I am using RHEL 5.3. root@]# ll total 1740... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shtobias
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Office server => laptop =>client server ...a lengthy and laborious ftp procedure

Hi All, I need your expertise in finding a way to solve my problem.Please excuse if this is not the right forum to ask this question and guide me to the correct forum,if possible. I am a DBA and on a daily basis i have to ftp huge dump files from my company server to my laptop and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH fetching files from server A onto server B and putting on server C

Dear Friends, Sorry for this basic request. But I just started learning Ksh recently and still I am a newbie in this field. Q: I have files on one server and the date format is 20121001000009_224625.in which has year (yyyy) month (mm) and date (dd). I have these files on server A. The task... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrownBob
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to server-1 from server-2 and get a file from server-1

I need to connect to a ftp server-1 from linux server-2 and copy/get a file from server-1 which follows a name pattern of FILENAME* (located on the root directory) and copy on a directory on server-2. Later, I have to use this file for ETL loading... For this I tried using as below /usr/bin/ftp... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy a file from one server to anther server and execute the binary

Hi , Is there any script to copy a files (weblogic bianary + silent.xml ) from one server (linux) to another servers and then execute the copy file. We want to copy a file on multiple servers and run the installation. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nawrajesh
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer file from server B to server C and running the script on server A

I have 3 servers A, B, C and server B is having some files in /u01/soa/ directory, these files i want to copy to server C, and i want to run the script from server A. Script(Server A) --> Files at Server B (Source server) --> Copy the files to Server C(Target Server). We dont have RSA key... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_j
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Is it mandatory or not to stop/start Applcation server ehen Restarting Database Server?

Good afternoon I need your help please. There is a Mantenance Windos which needs to Restart de Database Server 192.x.x.97 to set up some configuration Is it mandatory or not to stop/start Applcation server that runs in 192.x.x.95 ? Is it mandatory or not to stop/start apache and Tomcat?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies
inittab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							inittab(4)

NAME
inittab - script for the boot process DESCRIPTION
The file supplies the script to the boot daemon in its role as a general process dispatcher (see init(1M)). The process that constitutes the majority of boot process dispatching activities is the line process that initiates individual terminal lines. Other processes typi- cally dispatched by boot are daemons and shells. The file is composed of entries that are position-dependent and have the following format: Each entry is delimited by a newline; however, a backslash preceding a newline indicates a continuation of the entry. Up to 1024 charac- ters per entry are permitted. Comments can be inserted in the process field by starting a "word" with a (see sh(1)). Comments for lines that spawn are displayed by the command (see who(1)). It is expected that they will contain some information about the line such as the location. There are no limits (other than maximum entry size) imposed on the number of entries within the file. The entry fields are: id A one- to four-character value used to uniquely identify an entry. Duplicate entries cause an error message to be issued, but are otherwise ignored. The use of a four-character value to identify an entry is strongly recommended (see WARNINGS below). rstate Defines the run level in which this entry is to be processed. Run levels correspond to a configuration of processes in the system where each process spawned by boot is assigned one or more run levels in which it is allowed to exist. Run levels are represented by a number in the range through For example, if the system is in run level only those entries hav- ing a in their rstate field are processed. When boot is requested to change run levels, all processes that do not have an entry in the rstate field for the target run level are sent the warning signal and allowed a 20-second grace period before being forcibly terminated by a kill sig- nal You can specify multiple run levels for a process by entering more than one run level value in any combination. If no run level is specified, the process is assumed to be valid for all run levels, through Three other values, and can also appear in the rstate field, even though they are not true run levels. Entries having these characters in the rstate field are processed only when a user process requests them to be run (regardless of the current system run level). They differ from run levels in that boot can never enter "run level" or Also, a request for the execution of any of these processes does not change the current numeric run level. Furthermore, a process started by an or option is not killed when boot changes levels. A process is killed only if its line in is marked in the action field, its line is deleted entirely from or boot goes into the single-user state. action A keyword in this field tells boot how to treat the process specified in the process field. The following actions can be specified: Process the entry only at boot boot-time read of the file. Boot starts the process, does not wait for its termination, and when it dies, does not restart the process. In order for this instruction to be meaningful, the rstate should be the default or it must match boot run level at boot time. This action is useful for an initializa- tion function following a hardware boot of the system. Process the entry only at boot boot-time read of the file. Boot starts the process, waits for its termination, and, when it dies, does not restart the process. An entry with this action is only scanned when boot is initially invoked. Boot uses this entry, if it exists, to determine which run level to enter initially. It does this by taking the highest run level specified in the field and using that as its initial state. If the rstate field is empty, boot enters run level The entry cannot specify that boot start in the single-user state. Additionally, if boot does not find an entry in it requests an initial run level from the user at boot time. If the process associated with this entry is currently running, send the warning signal and wait 20 seconds before forcibly terminating the process via the kill signal If the process is nonexistent, ignore the entry. When boot enters a run level that matches the entry's rstate, start the process and do not wait for its termina- tion. When it dies, do not restart the process. If boot enters a new run level but the process is still running from a previous run level change, the process is not restarted. This instruction is really a synonym for the action. It is functionally identical to but is given a different keyword in order to divorce its asso- ciation with run levels. This is used only with the or values described in the rstate field. Execute the process associated with this entry only when boot receives a power-fail signal see signal(5)). Execute the process associated with this entry only when boot receives a power-fail signal and wait until it terminates before continuing any processing of If the process does not exist, start the process; do not wait for its termination (continue scanning the file). When it dies, restart the process. If the process currently exists, do nothing and continue scanning the file. Entries of this type are executed before boot tries to access the console. It is expected that this entry will be only used to initialize devices on which boot might attempt to obtain run level information. These entries are executed and waited for before continuing. When boot enters the run level that matches the entry's rstate, start the process and wait for its termination. Any subsequent reads of the file while boot is in the same run level cause boot to ignore this entry. process This is a command to be executed. The entire field is prefixed with and passed to a forked as "". For this reason, any syntax that can legally follow can appear in the process field. Comments can be inserted by using the syntax. WARNINGS
The use of a four-character id is strongly recommended. Many pty servers use the last two characters of the pty name as an id. If an id chosen by a pty server collides with one used in the file, the file can become corrupted. A corrupt file can cause commands such as to report inaccurate information. FILES
File of processes dispatched by boot SEE ALSO
sh(1), getty(1M), exec(2), open(2), signal(5). inittab(4)