Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Device Free Space
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Device Free Space Post 44930 by jayakhanna on Friday 12th of December 2003 10:17:33 AM
Old 12-12-2003
Try using "df" utility this will tell you the free blocks in the tape

also you can use "du" for knowing the disk usage

Cheers
JK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

free space, used space in ftp

Is possible to see how much available space there is on a ftp server and how much is used through ftp ? how ? free space: used space: thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

3. Solaris

No space left on device

We are using this function tmpfile() : FILE *tmpfp ; if ((tmpfp = tmpfile()) == NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "%s: ERROR: init_operator(): ", ROUTINE); perror("tmpfile()"); exit(ERR_OPEN); } and the above is raising error : MSMD0603: ERROR:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

5. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Determine free space in a Disk device

Version: Solaris 10 (August 2011) on VM I am kind of new to Solaris.From VM workstation i allocated 35 GB to this Solaris VM's Disk The disk was named c1t0d0 Few basic slices for root(8gb), swap(517mb) and /export/home(494mb) were created by the solaris Installer during the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
18 Replies

7. Solaris

No space on device

Hi All,, I had installed my solaris 10 over VMware and allocated 100 GB space. yet wehen i am installing weblogic. it says "no space left on device" when i run df -k :- ------ Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 4864825 4779400 36777 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jain_sharad143
7 Replies

8. Fedora

Need to incrwase PHYSICAL VOLUME space on hard drive with free space on it

Hi, I run Fedora 17. I created a physical volume of 30GB on a disk with 60GB of space so there is 30GB of free space. On the physical volume, I created my volume group and logical volumes. I assigned all the space in the physical volume to my volume group. I need to add the 30GB of free space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. Linux

No space left on device while there is plenty of space available

Hello all posting here after scanning the net and tried most of the things offered still no solution that worked when I do : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on footmpfs 7.9G 60K 7.9G 1% /dev tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev/shm /dev/da1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

No space on device

hi all, while searching solution to an error, i found this forum and i have just joined the forum. i am using Unix and getting the following error. kindly help to resolve. -bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device regards Please use CODE tags (not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkm
9 Replies
MTIO(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   MTIO(4)

NAME
mtio - magnetic tape commands SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mtio.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> DESCRIPTION
The magnetic tape devices described in sd(4) may be sent commands or queried for their status using the following ioctl calls: ioctl(fd, MTIOCTOP, &struct mtop) ioctl(fd, MTIOCGET, &struct mtget) The struct mtop, struct mtget and associated definitions are defined in <sys/mtio.h> as follows: /* Tape operations: ioctl(fd, MTIOCTOP, &struct mtop) */ struct mtop { short mt_op; /* Operation (MTWEOF, etc.) */ int mt_count; /* Repeat count. */ }; #define MTWEOF 0 /* Write End-Of-File Marker */ #define MTFSF 1 /* Forward Space File mark */ #define MTBSF 2 /* Backward Space File mark */ #define MTFSR 3 /* Forward Space Record */ #define MTBSR 4 /* Backward Space Record */ #define MTREW 5 /* Rewind tape */ #define MTOFFL 6 /* Rewind and take Offline */ #define MTNOP 7 /* No-Operation, set status only */ #define MTRETEN 8 /* Retension (completely wind and rewind) */ #define MTERASE 9 /* Erase the tape and rewind */ #define MTEOM 10 /* Position at End-Of-Media */ #define MTMODE 11 /* Select tape density */ #define MTBLKZ 12 /* Select tape block size */ /* Tape status: ioctl(fd, MTIOCGET, &struct mtget) */ struct mtget { short mt_type; /* Type of tape device. */ /* Device dependent "registers". */ short mt_dsreg; /* Drive status register. */ short mt_erreg; /* Error register. */ /* Misc info. */ off_t mt_resid; /* Residual count. */ off_t mt_fileno; /* Current File Number. */ off_t mt_blkno; /* Current Block Number within file. */ off_t mt_blksize; /* Current block size. */ }; See mt(1) for a detailed description on what each operation does. The mt_type field is always zero, there is no use for it yet. Mt_dsreg is 0 (OK), 1 (Error), or 2 (EOF encountered.) Mt_erreg holds the SCSI sense key of the last operation. Mt_blksize is the current tape block size in bytes, zero if the block size is variable. Note that one can issue these commands on a file descriptor that is in use to read or write data, something that mt can't do. So you can add eof markers in the middle of an output stream, or get the status of a device before a rewind-on-close tape rewinds. The driver will automatically add an end of file marker to a tape that is written to if you execute a space command. If you write eof markers yourself then the driver will not add one extra on close. SEE ALSO
mt(1), sd(4). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) MTIO(4)