Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting windows file to unix :end line chararcter Post 44819 by dharmesht on Thursday 11th of December 2003 06:39:44 AM
Old 12-11-2003
hi,
in the Vi editor it still shows me the cntrl+M characters for the end- line ,
after using the dos2unix command ....
Is there any command by which the cntrl+M in vi editor can be made invisible........

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting UNIX End of Line Chachracter \000

Hi, I have this file which has some octal NULL characters (\000). I need to replace these characters with an ASCII NULL. I've tried using Perl, the UNIX tr command.. History of this I received a COBOL generated file, ran the od command to convert to a xxx byte per record file. Now,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline?

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline? As I have tried with ^M in 'tr' it replaced ^ to a newline. Thanks in advance. (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing end of line with " in a UNIX file

How should I replace End of line Character by ". i.e in a file - Name1,NO1 Name2,No2 Name3,No3 .... Should look like -- Name1,NO1" Name2,No2" Name3,No3" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace unix 'new line' with windows 'new line'

I'm trying to write a script to convert a unix text file to windows/dos format. Essentially all I want to do is replace the Unix return with a windows one. on the command line I can do this successfully by: sed s/$/^M/ ~/unix.txt ~/dos.txt when I put this line in my shell script it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wha72
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hmmm I think I found the correct subforum to ask my question... I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hi all, I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this? Or just reinsert thousands of line breaks again :eek: ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX help adding data to end of a line with a variable

I am trying to add a date variable to the end of each line. This is what I have to start with cat ${DATAPATH}/Participate_Stream${STREAMDATE}.dryak1.csv | grep ^',' | awk '{print $0}' >> ${DATAPATH}/badparticipant.csv This is what I tried $DATE is a variable I have defined. cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: req62861
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
WinCommand(1x)						   AfterStep X11 window manager 					    WinCommand(1x)

NAME
WinCommand - AfterStep module for choosing and manipulating windows based on patterns CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
DESCRIPTION
WinCommand is a command line tool which allows you to select windows based on their name and to then manipulate them in various ways. Actions currently supported are: "center", "center jump", "iconify", "jump", "kill", "move", "resize" and "sendtodesk". DEFAULTS
The default pattern is "", meaning all windows will be selected. All other default-values depend on the action you would like WinCommand to take. If more than one action is specified, default-values are set depending on the last action specified. ACTIONS
center Place matching windows into the center of the screen. center jump: Places first window that matches into the center of the screen and jumps to it. iconify: Iconifies matching windows. jump: Jumps to the first window which matches. kill: Kills all matching windows. move: Moves all matching windows to x/y. x and y are specified using the -x and -y flags. resize: Resize all matching windows. The two parameters width and height are specified using the -width and -height flags. send_to_desk: Send all matching windows to desk specified with the -new_desk flag. OPTIONS
-all Operate on all windows which match the given pattern. This is set by default unless the action is either "jump" or "center jump". -alldesks Windows on all desks will be taken into account. This is set by default if action is either "jump" or "center jump". -desk Windows on the whole desk will be taken into account. -x/-y These are required when issuing the move-command. -width/-height These are required whenever you want to resize windows. Examples WinCommand -pattern term iconify This command will iconify all terminals. Since the specified pattern is a regular expression, something like this also works: WinCommand -pattern "(term)|(moz)" iconify This will iconify all terminals and mozilla-browser windows. WinCommand -pattern xmm jump will jump to your xmms. In this situation, it's far more advisable to use GWCommand though. It is probably not a good idea to delete windows while windows are being arranged. 3rd Berkeley Distribution AfterStep v.2.2.11 WinCommand(1x)